Provides security, custody and control of inmates in a correctional setting. Duties include:
- Maintain control in inmate dorms, cafeteria, work sites and surrounding areas.
- Instruct and direct inmates assigned to various work details.
- Maintain and report inmate count and daily logs; prepare and submit miscellaneous reports.
- Maintain surveillance and search for contraband.
- Maintain and inspect building for cleanliness and sanitation; requisition and direct issuance of supplies, tools and equipment; maintain inventory of equipment.
- Escort visitors and civilian employees through assigned facility.
- Ensure that inmates receive prescribed treatment including medical and behavioral prescriptions.
- Control gate tower or other special post.
- Make prescribed security inspections and searches of specified buildings, building contents, grounds, vehicles and people and take necessary action.
- Maintain and operate security devices in a security setting, such as gates and doors, weapons and mechanical devices.
- Instruct and counsel officers concerning duty requirements.
- Investigate inmate/resident complaints and take appropriate action.
- Serve as backup for any dorm/building dispute requiring assistance and crisis intervention; make reports to appropriate personnel.
Minimum and Additional Requirements
- U.S. Citizen.
- 21 and over.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Valid drivers license.
- Cannot have been convicted of a crime with a maximum allowable sentence of one year or more, or a fine of $1,000.
- Must pass a physical exam administered by SCDC.
- Must successfully complete the Correctional Officer Basic Certification Course within first six months of placement into the position.
Base Pay adjustments and Institution Incentives
Level I Institutions
Goodman, Livesay, Manning, Palmer
Level II Institutions
Allendale CI, Camille Graham CI, Evans CI, Kershaw CI, Leath CI, MacDougall CI,
Ridgeland CI, Trenton CI, Turbeville CI, Tyger River CI, Wateree River CI
Start at $34,205
After 6 months $35,345
Level III Institutions
Broad River CI, Kirkland CI, Lee CI, Lieber CI, McCormick CI, Perry CI
Start at $36,241
After 6 months $37,381
Benefits for State Employees
The state of South Carolina offers eligible employees generous benefits, including health and dental insurance; retirement and savings plan options; and paid vacation and sick leave. Plus, work-life balance programs such as telecommuting and flexible work schedules are available to employees of some state agencies.
Eligible employees may enroll in health insurance, which includes prescription coverage and wellness benefits. Other available insurance benefits include dental, vision, term life insurance, long term disability and flexible spending accounts for health and child care expenses.
State employees are also offered retirement plan options, including defined benefit and defined contribution plans. Additionally, eligible employees may elect to participate in the South Carolina Deferred Compensation Program, which is a voluntary, supplemental retirement savings plan offering 401(k) and 457 plan options.
State employees may also be eligible for other benefits, including tuition assistance; holiday, annual and sick leave; and discounts on purchases, travel and more.
Note: The benefits above are available to most state employees, with the exception of those in temporary positions. Employees in temporary grant and time-limited positions may be eligible for all, some or none of these benefits as benefits are associated with each position type. For these positions, contact the hiring agency to determine what benefits may be available.
South Carolina Department of Corrections
Why Work Here?South Carolina Department of Corrections is the second-largest state agency with over 5,000 employees, headquartered in Columbia, SC with 21 institutions across the state. Our employees are driven by the SCDC mission that’s geared towards providing community wide Safety, Service and Stewardship. We safely protect the public, our employees, and our inmates, provide rehabilitation services and self-improvement opportunities for inmates, and promote professional excellence, fiscal responsibility, and self-sufficiency.
SCDC does more than manage inmates, we provide security and a rehabilitative environment for our community. Advance your career today!