- $20 Hourly
Be a part of the #1 visitor attraction in the #1 city in America
Join a team of passionate individuals at Charleston's No. 1 family attraction! Every South Carolina Aquarium employee plays a crucial part in helping us care for sick and injured sea turtles, provide education programming for students, continue critical conservation work and create an exceptional visitor experience.
Inclusion, diversity, equity and accessibility are core values of our institution, and we are committed to fostering a workplace filled with active participation from diverse voices throughout all departments and leadership roles. We look forward to applications from all who qualify, and we encourage people of color, LGBTQIA+ individuals, veterans and those with disabilities to apply.
The South Carolina Aquarium is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and is accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA).
All Dive staff and volunteers must demonstrate proof of full COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment or service.
Primarily responsible for implementing the daily dive shows in the Great Ocean Tank. Dive support for all aquatic exhibits, demonstrating exceptional animal care, dive knowledge and skill, and supporting public education goals. Duties include all aspects of daily care, including feeding, cleaning, frequent diving with scuba and surface supply, animal training and enrichment, record keeping, and interaction with aquarium visitors.
- Routinely interact with aquarium guests, providing education and conservation information
- Routinely dive with sharks, stingrays, venomous fish, eels and sea turtles
- Perform frequent dive related tank maintenance on any aquarium system as required
- Evaluate animal health and life support requirements to maintain excellent animal health and welfare
- Distribute a proper nutritional diet
- Properly and safely handle animals for all care needs (e.g. annual physicals, treatments, transport)
- Support the aquarium's animal behavior management program, including enrichment and training activities
- Maintain exhibit aesthetics, including proper tank and filter operation and periodic renovations
- Exhibit a high level of organization and daily backup area cleanliness
- Be flexible with work schedule, being able to work weekends, holidays and evenings
- Thursday, Friday, and Saturdays required
- General shift is 8:00-4:00
- 24 hours/week
- Work unsupervised and make decisions consistent with the team philosophy
- Supervise Volunteers and Interns, providing mentorship and support for the aquarium's internship program
- Adhere to all South Carolina Aquarium policies and procedures
- Assist aquarium staff and visitors as needed in a pleasant, professional and courteous manner
OTHER DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supports the mission by participating in Aquarium sponsored programs and events on a regular basis, such as daily education programs, membership programs, behind the scenes tours, and fundraising activities.
- Other responsibilities as assigned (including meeting attendance, committee service, public relations support, social media content development)
SKILLS KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES:
- Ability to recognize and prevent animal diseases • Knowledge of saltwater fishes and elasmobranchs
- Good working knowledge of water quality parameters and their relation to animal health
- Understanding of the mechanical equipment necessary to maintain living exhibits, including sand filters, water pumps, protein skimmers, heat exchangers, ozone and UV filters
- Knowledge and demonstrated skill of minor plumbing, carpentry and electrical work
- Proficient in all MS Office Products including: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Ability to pass dive physical, dive skill evaluation and swim test
- Experience with diving in an aquarium setting
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE PREFERRED:
- BS in biology, aquatic biology or a closely related field preferred
LISCENCED & CERTIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
- SCUBA Certification with 50+ Open water dives
- Valid Driver's License
SUPERVISION OF OTHERS:
- Volunteers & Interns
Requires average walking, standing, bending, stooping, and crouching, climbing ladders, sitting, kneeling, balancing, pushing and pulling, crawling, working with tools, computer tasks and phone usage; should be able to lift/carry at least 50 lbs.; requires driving Aquarium vehicles.
Average exposure to minor or severe cuts; falls; falling objects; hazards to eyesight, hearing and sense of smell; and tight spaces. Often requires use of personal protective equipment due to exposure to chemicals, hazardous materials, ozone, and handling of animals.
This position requires works in both an office environment and outdoors, sometimes in extreme weather including both hot and cold; requires weekend and late-night work as needed; requires contact with customers, the general public, and outside vendors; requires carrying a cell phone and radio; requires occasional travel.
Diversity and Inclusion:
Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC) and others who identify as nonwhite, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and those with lived experience with racism and/or misogynoir are encouraged to apply for this role.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not construed to be an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by the personnel classified.
The Aquarium is an "at-will" employer, and as such, employment with the Aquarium is not for a fixed term, or definite period and may be terminated at the will of either party, with or without cause, and without prior notice.
The South Carolina Aquarium is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
South Carolina AquariumCharleston, SC
HealthcareView All South Carolina Aquarium Jobs
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.