Overview of the Position
South Bronx Overall Economic Development Corporation is seeking to hire an experienced and objective Senior Accounts Payable Specialist who combines a solid understanding of basic bookkeeping and accounts payable principles, with strong analytical and problem-solving skills. The candidate must be highly organized and detail-oriented and possess the ability to effectively work both independently and in a team setting. It is essential that the candidate display excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills, as well as the ability work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment. The position will report to the Controller function.
As a Senior Accounts Payable Clerk, the candidate will be responsible for processing all invoices received for payments and for undertaking the payment of all creditors in an accurate, efficient and timely manner. This will involve, compiling and maintaining accounts payable records, while also providing clerical and administrative support as needed.
Position Description & Responsibilities
The selected candidate will be responsible for:
· Review and approve all vouchers for payment; ensure that supporting documentation is verified and attached to vouchers before uploading into the A/P module of the accounting system
· Enter all accounts payable invoices that are scheduled to be paid into the accounting system
· Investigate and respond to all vendor inquiries
· Analyze vendor accounts and negotiate extended terms with vendors when cash is restricted
· Print and review for accuracy all accounts payable reports, set-up and maintain all accounts payable files using an industry standard filing convention for accounts payables
· Assist with accounts receivable and special projects, as directed
· Codes such items as invoices, vouchers, expense reports, check requests, etc., with correct codes conforming to standard procedures to ensure proper entry into the financial system.
· Handles all vendor correspondence via phone or email
· Prepares non-inventory purchase order requisitions.
· Attaches the corresponding purchase orders to incoming invoices with all supporting documentation.
· Investigates and resolves problems associated with processing of invoices and purchase orders.
· Prepares batch check runs, wire transfers, and ACH transactions.
· Assists with monthly status reports, and monthly closings.
· Reconciles various accounts by identifying errors in posting or omissions by applying appropriate accounting standards.
· Process remittance information from checks, drafts and wire transfers for invoices provided by vendors, reviewing instructions accompanying items to determine proper disposition and crediting accounts in accordance with standard procedures.
· Receives, researches and resolves a variety of routine internal and external inquiries concerning account status, including communicating the resolution of discrepancies to appropriate persons.
· Files, maintains, and distributes accounting documents, records and reports.
· Performs other duties as required to support Accounting Department
· Minimum of 3-4 years accounts payable or general accounting experience
· Solid computer and data entry skills
· Experience with Blackbaud Financial Edge or comparable accounting software
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Strong organizational skills
· Ability to multi-task
· Open to change and willing to learn new skills
· Ability to follow up on pending issues
· Ability to meet deadlines
· Proven ability to calculate, post and manage accounting figures and financial records
· High degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Location: Office is accessible - just one quarter block from the #2 and #5 subway trains in the heart of the South Bronx’s commercial district.
- Supervisory Responsibility: This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Physical Requirements: Stationary position and/or Move, Traverse, The person in this position needs to occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc. Use hands/fingers to handle or feel Operate, Activate, Use, Prepare, Inspect, Place, Detect, Position Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer.
- Working Conditions: General office working conditions.