Sonetics is the leader in team communication solutions that enhance the productivity, safety, and effectiveness of work teams in aviation, firefighting, public works, marine, construction, and industrial operations. We pioneered the development of hands-free wireless headsets, which allow team members to stay in continuous contact, and ensures that all team members can hear and be heard, even in the most challenging environments.
We are seeking a talented Director of Engineering to lead our engineering team. In this role, you will develop global product strategies through the understanding of unmet customer needs, performance requirements, and overall customer satisfaction. You will contribute technical expertise, drive innovation, oversee all technical work, including setting and maintaining design standards and incorporating the latest design methods and tools to improve internal and external design practices. You will keep our technology at the forefront of the industry by providing technical leadership in all phases of product development, including product definition, architecture, design, layout and production support.
In addition, your key responsibilities include:
- Plan, organize, develop and lead the engineering team as well as additional internal and external resources to develop new products and provide engineering support to other departments.
- Establish, prioritize and drive NPI objectives and initiatives to align with Sonetics corporate objectives and initiatives. Ensure that NPI projects are closely managed and reported on and necessary actions are taken to keep them on track.
- Integrate innovative technical solutions to best satisfy market and customer requirements including features, performance, cost, manufacturability, quality, and time to market.
- With Product Marketing and Emerging Market Team, develop product road map methodologies to improve product development agility, scalability and longevity. Define 1, 2 and 3-year product roadmap for associated product lines.
- Develop and manage strategic partner relationships to leverage expertise and foster co-development for new products and technology.
- Manage and coordinate all activities related to product introductions, equipment and test specifications, and production equipment design.
- Improve existing production testing methodologies, by defining the scope of testing process and determining appropriate equipment and implementation techniques.
- Lead continual improvements with a particular focus on manufacturability, quality, cost reductions, and efficiency across all product lines.
- Provide the tools and processes necessary to the engineering team to meet the requirements and fulfil the responsibilities specified in the company's ISO processes.
- Lead and develop the skillset within the engineering team. Regularly review staff performance, development needs and evaluate and initiate training.
- Contribute as a core member of the Leadership Team.
As a Director of Engineering, you thrive in a fast-paced environment where customer needs, deadlines and deliverables are in the forefront. You are highly innovative and keenly focused on delivering high quality products and solutions. You are collaborative and work well cross-functionally, as well as directly with customers. In addition, your skills include:
- BSEE or equivalent combination of education and additional relevant experience.
- 8 - 10 years of experience in Product Development and design of communication and/or consumer electronics. Wearable product experience preferred.
- Demonstrated experience developing innovative products that successfully address customer and market needs, with wide adoption.
- Wireless communication, including Bluetooth and DECT experience strongly preferred. Firmware based product experience required.
- Proven design engineering skills combined with strong project and program management skills required.
- Agile or similar development methodology required.
- Proven experience driving teams to successfully meet timelines and deliverables.
- Demonstrated ability to develop repeatable processes or improve existing processes within and outside of product development.
- Experience aligning resources, seeking the input of internal and external key stakeholders, and driving others to achieve desired results.
- Open and collaborative style; must be comfortable working in an environment where ideas are shared and challenged.
- Strong people management skills, including ability to manage and support multi-discipline engineers. Demonstrated success developing and mentoring highly effective engineering teams.
- Excellent interpersonal as well as communication skills.
- Solid experience with overseas manufacturing.
We offer the right candidate an opportunity to join a fast-growing company that is serving customers in challenging environments, making every work day more productive, safer, and enjoyable. We are entrepreneurial, innovative and agile. We value hard work and great ideas, and strive to celebrate our successes as a team. We offer a comprehensive benefit plan including medical coverage, 401k contribution, and employee profit sharing plan.