Agency is a 26 bed hospital providing acute psychiatric treatment to adults.
The Director of Social Services plans, implements and directs the Social Services Department, which provides casework services to members served and their families. The Director of Social Services also manages a team of social workers and discharge planners. Additional responsibilities include: coordination of the admission and discharge processes and maintaining a liaison with local hospitals and agencies.
• Two (2) years of direct service experience with persons with mental illness and two (2) years of supervisory experience with both professional and non professional staff in an inpatient or outpatient setting
• LCSW or MFT license from the State of California and a valid California driver’s license and insurability
• Plans, organizes, directs, and controls the Social Services Department
• Responsible for the administrative and clinical functioning of the Social Services Department
• Makes use of management practices that include empowerment of staff, the provision of clear and concise expectations regarding duties assigned employees, frequent feedback focusing on both positive and problematic aspects of work performance, and other management practices that are consistent with Continuous Quality Improvement
• Promotes and maintains harmonious and effective relationships and communications within the department and other departments
• Thoroughly understands the legal/conservatorship system and provides inservice training to facility staff as needed
• Coordinates the Utilization Review Committee and assists in the development of associated procedures
• Supervises and coordinates student intern placements within the Social Services Department. Provides leadership and clinical training to the facility staff and interns
• Collaborates with other administrative staff in strategic planning activities with the goal of ensuring ongoing effectiveness of the facility
• Is available to assist at other facilities, which may involve limited travel
• Establishes on going relationships with local agencies and other resources necessary to affect a continuum of care for members served returning to the community. In doing so, assists Social Services staff in the assessment of members served readiness for discharge
• Establishes staffing requirements and recommends to administration the number and classification of personnel to be employed. Directs the recruitment, selection and when necessary disciplinary action within the Social Services Department
• Establishes and maintains the job specifications and descriptions for department personnel
• Coordinates and consults with county Mental Health Services and staff of acute and long term in-patient psychiatric hospitals to facilitate admission and discharge of members served
• Evaluates, by telephone and/or in person, prospective members served for admission. Consults with the department managers as necessary regarding the appropriateness of the admission
• Manages the Social Services Department within allocated budgetary parameters and participates in the development of the fiscal budget
• Ensures that the facility is in compliance with all related state, federal and local licensing regulations and requirements
• Establishes and defines standards which ensure safe and therapeutically effective care
• Assesses the quality of care rendered by the Social Services Department and ensures sound practice
• Establishes and maintains a comprehensive Quality Assurance/Quality Improvement program within the Social Services Department which includes frequent collaboration with other departments, employee education and a focus on monitoring departmental standards and actively removing barriers to the provision of high quality care
• If employed at Inpatient program, must assist with restraint of members served in the event of assaultive behavior and pass assault crisis/crisis prevention training
• If employed at Outpatient program, must evade members served in the event of assaultive behavior and pass assault crisis/crisis prevention training
Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted and/or changed at the discretion of management.
• Demonstrated understanding of psychiatric illness, the ability to identify symptoms and the severity of illness
• Ability to predict with reasonable accuracy a client’s appropriateness and ability to respond to treatment
• Demonstrated ability to develop and write policies and procedures related to the care of persons with serious mental illness
Social Service Staffing & Recruiting, Inc.We are a staffing and recruiting agency that specializes in social services. We hire BA, BSW, MA, MSW, LCSW, MFT, PsyD and PhD candidates for temporary, temp to hire and direct hire opportunities throughout California. We have part time and full time positions available, both direct services and management.