Driver / Equipment Operator
Smash My Trash Paramus, New Jersey
Total Starting Base Rate: $18/ hour
Supplemental Pay: Opportunity for bonus based on safety and efficiency measures
Benefits: Health Paid time off
Schedule: 4-8-hour shift, Monday to Friday, some week-end work is possible
Hours per Week: 20-40 hours / week
Job Type: Part-Time, Full Time
Experience: Heavy Equipment Operator (Preferred)
Education: High School (Required)
Language: English (Required), Spanish (Preferred)
Full Job Description
Smash My Trash
Interested in working for a new company in a disruptive market segment? Do you take pride in everything you do and crave the feeling of accomplishment (especially after smashing trash all day)? Are you looking for a work environment that has a set of core values you believe in? Do you care about helping customers save time and money while helping the environment?
What is Smash My Trash
At Smash My Trash, that is exactly who we are and what we do! Our mission is to fundamentally disrupt commercial material management by redefining the business model, significantly reducing waste processing costs, and pursuing genuine environmental stewardship.
Mobile Smash Machine TM is revolutionizing the waste industry through our proprietary technology and mobile compaction service, which reduces waste volume by as much as 70% and saves business owners money and time.
Smash My Trash is serious about environmental stewardship. Our service significantly reduces vehicle CO2 emissions by decreasing the volume of hauling trucks on the road and reduces landfill space required by increasing the density of every haul.
The more we smash, the more we're able to help our clients and the environment it's a win win!
Our Core Values
- SIMPLIFY We are easy to work with and strive to simplify our clients' business
- MANAGE We manage the business with our clients' interest in mind
- ACCOUNTABLE We do what we say and hold ourselves responsible to deliver on the commitments we make
- SAVINGS We are passionate about generating real savings for our clients
- HONEST We embrace radical candor, speak the truth and act with integrity
Check out .smashmytrash to see our Patented Smash Trucks in action!
What is the Job
Smash My Trash has now come to Northern New Jersey (our territories include the communities of Wayne, Fairfield, Paterson, Woodland Park, Mahwah, Westwood, Fair Lawn, Paramus, Ridgewood, Teaneck and Fort Lee) and we need a part-time (conversion to full-time) truck driver and compaction equipment operator who will be responsible for safely and efficiently operating our Mobile Smash Machines or "trucks" which are outfitted with the state of the art machinery to compact contents of open-top 40 yard dumpsters at municipalities and business in the manufacturing, construction, distribution, transportation and service industries. You'll be working with the general manager and/or sales lead who will coordinate smash demonstrations and truck routes with goal of reaching sales and efficiency targets.
For many clients, you AND our trucks will represent the Smash My Trash brand, so we'll be looking for someone who will ensure their truck is clean, safe to operate and ready to go every day. You'll be working with a contract diesel mechanic and hydraulics technician to ensure our trucks are in great shape at all times. Being comfortable maintaining a 26,000-pound Kenworth T270 truck and/or hydraulic equipment will be a big plus!
This will initially be a part-time role, but will evolve into a full-time position as the business grows with a base rate of $18/hr. plus an opportunity to earn a bonus. Drivers who prioritize taking care of their trucks, operating safely and as efficiently as possible will be well compensated. When the company does well, we will pay bonus' when you do well.
Below is a listing of what you will be doing and what we're looking for. In summary, we need someone who is just as comfortable with trucks and operating hydraulic equipment as they are with clients they encounter at the sites. We're looking for someone with the drive and energy to smash and smash, but also focused on ensuring our trucks are safely operated and meticulously maintained day in and day out. Lastly, and just as importantly, we're also looking for someone who has a growth mindset someone who aspires to train and eventually lead a team of drivers; to continue to advance their career/responsibilities as the company grows.
What You Will Be Doing
- Reporting directly to the General Manager of Smash My Trash Paramus
- Attending an immersive driver training program at the franchise headquarters in Indianapolis as part of your on-boarding process. Once you're settled in, expect weekly check-ins and periodic meetings with management
- Maintaining our SMASH core values at all times you will be a key employee who will be the face of the company at customer sites so having our customers in mind at all times will be a key component of what you'll be doing every day. You are expected to wear uniforms while working, which includes a reflective shirt, hard hat, leather gloves, pants, safety glasses and safety shoes.
- Carefully and thoroughly inspect your truck before and after each trip, documenting check list results through the use of smartphones and state of the art apps
- Properly tracking routes and activity logs via the use of your smartphone and apps; we embrace technology as a means to operate as safely and as efficiently as possible
- Coordinating periodic preventative maintenance checks with our contract diesel mechanic and/or hydraulic technicians. You'll also be reaching out to them on an on-call / as needed basis
- Safely driving a 25,000+ pound Kenworth T270 Truck to customer sites, backing it up against 40-yard dumpsters
- Skillfully operating a 3-ton rolling drum on a hydraulic boom; smashing all its contents!
- Properly tracking and documenting activity log via smartphones and state of the art apps
- Teaming with the Sales/Account lead who will be coordinating sales demonstrations and area events to help field any technical questions about our Mobile Smash Machine!
- Attending training events to ensure you're up to date on new truck features, operating procedures and best practices
What We Need from You
- Strong work ethic, easy to work with, accountable and someone who consistently acts with integrity; someone who embraces our core values
- A self-starter who works well with others
- Valid Motor Vehicle Operator's License, with Clean Driving Record - No more than 3 moving violations in the past three years, not cited for a defined accident in the previous 3 years and no serious offenses in the previous 7 years or pattern of unsafe driving practices
- At least three years' experience of safely operating a Class 6 Truck (i.e. dump trucks, garbage trucks, backhoes, ambulances, fire trucks and busses) and the ability to handle physical work load
- Experience maintaining a Kenworth Truck and Hydraulic Equipment will be a huge plus!
- Class B CDL is preferred but not required
- Ability to communicate in English fluently, in Spanish a plus
- DOT Physical Exam, Background Check and Drug Screening required
- Skilled with a smartphone and embraces the use of technology and apps such as Fleetio
- Ability to attend live immersive driver / operator training at our corporate headquarters in Indianapolis at on-boarding
- Resourceful and ability to think on their feet and solve challenges that may come along
What We Offer
- Solid base rate with an opportunity for a bonus based on safety and efficiency measures
- Paid Time Off
- Potential for growth and advancement
- Cell Phone Stipend
- Small work team, remote work environment and best in class tools
We will require masks be worn at all time at customer locations, while in the Smash Truck or if anyone is driving with you to customer accounts. The team will be entirely remote, relying on technology tools / applications to promote our core values.
Smash My Trash - Paramus