We are currently seeking a Senior Research Associate, Biologics (Downstream) resident in our San Francisco Mission Bay office. The Senior Research Associate will support the protein purification group within the Biologics CMC organization.
- Understand, optimize and execute all methods and techniques required for protein refolding (from E coli inclusion body) using preparation centrifugation, clarification, and UF/DF etc.
- Understand, optimize and execute all methods and techniques required for standard and advanced purifications of recombinant/refolding protein using AKTA platform with different type of resin/membrane chromatography, e.g. HIC, IEX, SEC, and multiple modal resins.
- Multitask and perform overlapping purifications, small scale experiments, and protein analysis (SDS-PAGE, Western, HPLC, BCA protein assay, UV/VIS spectrometry etc.) in parallel under aggressive timelines.
- Analyze and present data in meetings and to external audience as needed.
- Under minimal supervision, executes technical experiments following appropriate guidance and technical procedures.
- Effectively communicates with scientists to develop/characterize the process that generate intermediates and final products of protein biologics.
- Prepares technical reports, summaries, and/or quantitative analyses.
- Functions as a team resource able to perform a variety of laboratory based tasks.
- May act as principal investigator in conducting own experiments.
- Maintains compliance to company Environmental Health and Safety policies, procedures and practices.
- Must have knowledge and hands-on protein purification experience.
- Under minimal supervision executes technical experiments following appropriate guidance and technical procedures.
- Excellent communicator, with good presentation and organizational skills. Must be able to clearly communicate scientific information both written and oral.
- Must have working knowledge of MS word, Excel, Power point is a plus. Experience working in an FDA regulated environment is highly desired.
- Ability to work independently but also to thrive in a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Must be able to lift or handle objects greater than 25 pounds to perform certain duties essential to the job function.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in a scientific discipline with 8 years of applicable industry experience in a research and or development environment.
Performance of tasks essential to the job function may require the employee to work directly with, handle, or otherwise come into contact with chemicals or pharmaceutical agents. Employees must be able to wear a respiratory protection (filtering facepiece, 1/2 face, full-face, or powered air purifying respirator, supplied air, or self contained breathing apparatus) for certain tasks essential to the job function. Employees must be able to able to accurately detect color and have 20/20 vision (with/without corrective lenses). Employees may be required to enroll in a medical surveillance program based on the potential exposure to certain health.