The Project Engineer is responsible for developing capital budget estimates, engineering design, material specification, procurement, installation supervision, construction management, and CQV (Commission, Qualification, and Validation) of food and beverage related projects to ensure vertical startup and a right first-time result. This role will support projects related to line efficiency, process optimization, organic growth, food and personnel safety, and new product launches. The project engineer will have project responsibilities at all the plants and various locations including facilities in Washington, Illinois, and Ontario, Canada.
- Follow the Engineering Project Delivery Process (EPDP).
- Work with cross-functional teams to clearly define project scopes and milestones.
- Develop budget estimates and manage project budgets including monthly cash flow projections.
- Construction management including oversight of 3rd party engineering firms and external contractors.
- Work with strategic vendors to deliver the lowest TOC for purchases by utilizing a competitive bidding process.
- Develop or modify plant layouts, process flow diagrams and P&ID’s.
- Utilize drafting resources to convey concepts, ideas, and details.
- Verify and as-build existing equipment, piping, and plant layouts.
- Gather information and data from the processing plants to use in root cause analysis that will help reduce downtime and increase efficiency.
- Develop functional descriptions and oversee process control implementation.
- Travel as needed and required by projects.
- Manage multiple projects concurrently.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong background in food and beverage related project management and application engineering.
- Ability to understand and modify existing processing systems, packaging lines, and manufacturing equipment to support business needs.
- Thorough understanding of utility infrastructure including: ammonia refrigeration, steam, compressed air, water and waste water systems.
- Strong background in fluid mechanics and thermodynamics.
- Ability to troubleshoot and diagnose operational issues.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, under pressure and with minimal supervision.
- Ability to multi-task and set priorities according to changing requirements.
- Proficient in AutoCAD version 2010 or higher.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering, Agricultural Engineering, or similar degree.
- 5 - 10 Years’ experience in a technical field related to food or beverage manufacturing.
- Must have excellent organizational, technical, verbal, and writing skills.
- Experience with sanitary design and CIP (Clean-In-Place) systems
- Experience with food processing plant design and construction
- Knowledge of food safety, GMP, HAACP, and FSMA requirements
- Knowledge of personnel safety, ergonomics, design safe, and OSHA requirements
- Experience with PLC’s, automation, and controls systems.
Experience with lean manufacturing technics.