The Simons Foundation is currently recruiting a Senior Finance Associate to join the accounting and reporting team. The Senior Finance Associate will report to the Finance Manager and will be responsible for supporting the full accounting cycle, with an emphasis on tax, real estate and other technically complex areas.
- Perform advanced tasks related to the monthly and annual close processes, including complex journal entries and account reconciliations, book-tax differences and related deferrals.
- Assist in the preparation of monthly and annual financial statements and related reporting packages.
- Respond to external reporting needs inclusive of tax, regulatory filings, surveys and lender compliance reporting.
- Maintain and analyze the foundation’s fixed asset accounting records. Perform all real estate accounting and related tasks.
- Coordinate all aspects of the tax cycle, including provisions, estimates, extensions, returns and reporting and planning. Provide requested items to external tax preparers and coordinate the status of open items.
- Maintain tax- and compliance-specific records, including disqualified persons and self-dealing, minimum distributions, excess business holdings, jeopardizing investments and taxable expenditures. Monitor the foundation’s activities for compliance issues and escalate to management or external tax accountants as appropriate.
- Maintain and analyze tax-specific accounts used to track unrelated business taxable income, grant disbursements subject to expenditure responsibility requirements and other similar accounts required for regulatory reporting.
- Support the annual financial audit process. Respond to requests from external auditors and coordinate the status of open items.
- Support systems integration processes between the foundation’s ERP system and other financially significant systems. Ensure transactions post to the general ledger as expected. Reconcile and analyze differences between systems and escalate issues to the business technology team as appropriate.
- Remain current on US GAAP, IRS regulations and other regulatory developments impacting private foundations.
- Research technical accounting and tax issues and draft accounting memos to document complex matters/decisions. Coordinate with management, external financial accountants and tax accountants where appropriate.
- Support ongoing efforts to improve processes and automate manual tasks. Propose strategies to make operations more efficient.
- Take on any additional responsibilities or special projects as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, tax, finance or business is preferred. Other degrees will be considered based on level of relevant experience.
- CPA is strongly preferred.
- A minimum of five years of relevant tax and accounting experience is preferred. At least two years specializing in exempt organizations, either in public accounting or in industry, is required.
- Must have technical and computational accounting skills as well as a strong understanding of US GAAP, IRS regulations with respect to exempt organizations, and applicable industry standards.
- Experience in private foundations and familiarity with Chapter 42 excise taxes is a plus.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office with an emphasis on Excel is required.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Dynamics GP and financial systems integrations is a plus.
Related Skills & Other Requirements
- Must possess strong verbal and written communication skills
- Must be detail oriented with strong organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Must demonstrate initiative and critical-thinking skills, and the ability to prioritize workload to deliver high-quality results on time.
- Adaptive to a dynamic, rapidly growing work environment.
- Strong team player while also having ability to manage work independently
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS
- Please submit a résumé and cover letter stating your interest in the position.
The Simons Foundation’s Diversity Commitment
Many of the greatest ideas and discoveries come from a diverse mix of minds, backgrounds and experiences, and we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment. The Simons Foundation provides equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic disposition, neurodiversity, disability, veteran status or any other protected category under federal, state and local law.