Director of Crystal Growing Operations
- Posted: over a month ago
Accountable to the Director, Operations to lead, manage and direct all aspects of Crystal Growing (CZ) operations for Eaton and Springfield sites. Delivering cost reductions, productivity improvements, yield improvements, and material commitments. Ensure the Crystal Growing operational capacity (equipment, tooling, materials, people, consumables, etc.), processes and systems (environmental and safety, communications, planning, scheduling, quality, shop floor control, reporting, training, etc.) are delivering to committed volume requirements, product specifications and adherence to Process of Record (POR).
Establish, sustain, and improve Crystal Growing culture that demonstrates daily implementation of Silfex Core Values as well as the Silfex Management System. Establish, align, and implement operations strategy and tactics at all levels, including Crystal Growing Engineering and R&D, and Supply Chain, to ensure Crystal Growing has the capability, capacity and experience required to produce material on schedule, within quality standards and specifications and at cost levels defined by customer requirements and Silfex’ short-, medium-, and long-term goals and objectives.
Seek out and implement operations best practices by benchmarking and targeted learning and development of self and team through exposure to and education concerning successful operating models, processes and systems across single crystal silicon growing and silicon casting technologies, equipment, and processes. Actively collaborate as a member of the Silfex leadership team to continue to advance and grow our people and our business through successful strategic and tactical development and execution.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead and manage Crystal Growing operations in achieving operational excellence and growth to build world-class performance and capabilities (safety, quality, cost, delivery, customer service, and innovation), with the overall goal of delivering increased output at lower cost (Moore’s Law thinking applied to Crystal Growing operations).
- Attract, retain, and develop people with the best talent, experience, and capabilities to build, lead and manage a high performing team with the technical and operational capability required to deliver to performance expectations.
- Achieve higher levels of performance by collaborating with the Sr Director of Operations, as well as employees at all levels to develop, implement and model Silfex’s Operating Management System using Lean Manufacturing, 5S, Six Sigma, and other manufacturing strategies/systems throughout the division and Crystal Growing operations.
- Develop and maintain deep knowledge of the Silfex Quality Management System (QMS) and properly apply Quality Procedures and Operating Procedures as appropriate.
- Implement operating policies, plans and procedures to establish and sustain high standards of operation, ensuring adherence to established Process of Record (POR).
- Develop self and team members to learn, adapt and implement best in class operating practices, processes, and systems by benchmarking across a broad spectrum of other industries as well as participating in conferences, groups/societies and courses that achieve a broader understanding of best-in-class manufacturing discipline to adapt and implement at Silfex.
- Collaborate with Business Development, Crystal Growing Engineering, Crystal Growing R&D, Supply Chain, and Quality Assurance to consistently innovate and improve the POR and process capability, and drive performance improvement using defined change control procedures for testing, qualification and roll out to secure and sustain Silfex and customer competitive advantage and differentiation.
- Utilize a focused set of leading and lagging indicators (metrics) that are cascaded throughout the Crystal Growing operation, using the Silfex accountability system to set priorities, align resources and achieve objectives.
- Collaborate with Supply Chain to develop and implement supply strategies that scale Crystal Growing output through adaptable equipment, processes and suppliers that support targeted Business Continuity Planning (BCP) and allow our Crystal Growing operational capacity to flex plus 20% within a six-month timeframe.
- Proactively identify and resolve using standard problem solving and escalation practices, strategic/operational issues that may impair operations or the divisions’ ability to meet strategic, operational, financial, and manufacturing goals. Achieve optimum employee and capital levels with the least amount of consumable, raw material, and overhead costs to meet or exceed annual budgetary plan.
- Actively develop, lead, implement and sustain effective processes to engage employees at all levels in continuous improvement that identifies, recommends and implements ideas and innovations (e.g., improve safety, quality, cost, delivery, etc.).
- Collaborate with Senior Leadership Team in development, formulation, and implementation of division long and short-range planning, policies, programs, and objectives.
- Actively participate in major projects (e.g., new crystal growing building design, facilities requirements, equipment layout, installation of capital equipment, equipment modifications, major repairs, and support, etc.).
- Create and deliver to Silfex Leadership Team, presentations and reports that communicate and explain operations strategy, tactics, targets, metrics, requirements, gaps, and successes as part of AOP planning, operations reviews, program reviews or other requested purposes as needed.
- Advise Sr Dir, Operations on critical issues (e.g. safety, security, employee relations, scheduling, training).
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Display a positive attitude and strong work ethic that reflects the Mission and Core Values of Silfex.
- Create and maintain a culture where workplace safety is part of everything we do. Provide the safest possible workplace to our employees by modeling and following all company safety policies, reporting any incidents or unsafe conditions immediately to Silfex management. Wear all PPE as required by work area or job function.
- Communicate boldly, begin with the end in mind, as well as effectively with empathy and respect to inspire teamwork and collaboration vertically and horizontally within Silfex.
- Assist in applying lean manufacturing concepts and 5S. Demonstrate ownership of continuous improvement ideas and activities. Maintain organization and cleanliness, housekeeping and 5S within work area. Maintain these areas at the highest degree possible while responsibly escalating any maintenance issues.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- BA/BS in Operations Management, Engineering, or Business Administration, or a four-year degree in a related discipline
- 10 years of experience in manufacturing management, preferably in process-oriented, discrete manufacturing operations or related industry.
- Required minimum 8 years of experience managing a significant segment of a large manufacturer or the entire operation of a smaller manufacturer.
- Direct experience and demonstrated success using Lean, 5S, Six Sigma, Theory of Constraints, and Total Productive Maintenance (TPM).
- MBA or Master’s degree in an Engineering or technical discipline.
- Five or more years Crystal Growing management experience.
- Six Sigma Black Belt/Green Belt or AME Silver, or equivalent Lean Manufacturing Certification.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to stand, walk up and down steps, and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to walk; sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear.
The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 50 pounds. The employee regularly is required to lift up to 12 pounds. The vision requirements include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is exposed to work near moving mechanical parts, magnets, fumes or airborne particles, and hot heavy and large parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions. The noise level in the environment is moderate.
Part of the physical activity for this job involves working near a strong magnetic field, therefore no pacemakers, implanted defibrillators, metal implants, loose metal objects, hearing aids allowed.
BusinessView all jobs at Silfex