Greencorps Summer Youth Instructor
Signature Staff Resources Chicago, IL
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Greencorps Chicago is the Chicago Department of Transportation’s community greening and job training program run in partnership with WRD Environmental. Greencorps Chicago’s is to empower residents from Chicagoland’s underserved neighborhoods to create change in their lives and communities through training, service, and career opportunities in environmental fields.
The Greencorps Chicago Youth Program (GCYP) is a summer youth employment program, administered by the Chicago Department of Transportation and managed by WRD Environmental. The Youth Instructor will spend the majority of their time teaching horticulture, landscape practices, tree care, bicycle maintenance, and bike safety to high school youth enrolled in GCYP. Instructors will work out of a Chicago Public School or other community based location, with significant components taught outdoors at a variety of project sites (such as community gardens or urban farms) throughout the City of Chicago.
The responsibilities of the Youth Instructor include:
- Lead activities and lessons to engage youth in horticulture, urban forestry, ecological restoration, resource conservation, green infrastructure, urban agriculture, bicycle maintenance and bike safety;
- Prepare youth to complete hands-on field projects;
- Maintain order and safety in indoor and outdoor learning and work environments;
- Plan and lead group bicycle rides and field trips safely;
- Develop & manage site projects and daily oversight of youth;
- Collaborate with agency and school partners to provide individual assistance to youth as needed;
- Adhere to a training schedule & submit reports for tracking youth progress;
- As a Greencorps Chicago team member, exhibit appropriate interpersonal skills and professional behavior to support a positive workplace environment; and
- Take on other tasks as needed
Qualifications for this position include:
- Education, training or experience equivalent to an Associate’s degree in horticulture, landscaping, urban agriculture or related field;
- Able to fix and maintain bicycles or willingness to be trained;
- Experience working with youth ages 15-19 highly preferred;
- Experience teaching in a classroom or outdoor setting;
- Comfortable leading group bicycle rides;
- Desire and ability to work with a diverse population;
- Ability to be flexible and work with minimal on-site supervision;
- Excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills;
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), email, and internet;
- Available to work 40 hours/week; Monday–Friday, 8AM – 4:30PM with 30 minute unpaid lunch; June 28
- – August 13, 2021;
- 1st Aid & CPR certification; and
- Must submit to a background check.
Signature Staff Resources
Sports and RecreationView all jobs at Signature Staff Resources