Legal Secretary - Banking and Financial Services
This is a varied and fast-paced role supporting the Banking and Financial Services practice area team. We are looking for an experienced operational professional who enjoys solving complex problems and is motivated by flawless execution. This role requires an independent self-starter who serves as an ambassador to our partners, demonstrates sound judgment, and establishes a foundation of loyalty through behaviors that inspire trust. The ideal candidate understands the importance of confidentiality and discretion while simultaneously communicating context to stakeholders; empowering them to make informed decisions and solve problems. We are looking for someone who naturally operates with a customer service mindset enabling them to partner with a broad range of personalities and adapt to unique traits and working styles.Duties and Responsibilities:
Coordination & Operational Support
- Provide coordination and operational support to assigned lawyers in the Banking and Financial Services practice area team.
- Ensure lawyers’ time is aligned with their priorities through demonstrated understanding of the core business and by leveraging strategic prioritization strategies.
- Build relationships and trust with key stakeholders and partners.
- Increase bandwidth and productivity by anticipating needs and taking ownership of planning, executing, and delegating activities which create an extra layer of accountability.
- Perform other duties as assigned as part of business operations.
Communications & Calendar Management
- Maximize efficiency and communication by building out systems and processes for increased organization and unified workstreams.
- Communicate with and build/maintain relationships with key high-profile clients of the Banking and Financial Services practice area team, if applicable.
- Maintain Outlook inboxes including reviewing incoming communications, prioritizing items in terms of deadline, and respond, if applicable.
- Handle and screen all incoming communications (phone, email, video teleconferences, etc.) and respond, file, and delegate within the team appropriately.
- Provide complex and dynamic scheduling and calendar support for the assigned lawyers.
- Advance preparation for all commitments and engagements, including comprehensive briefing materials and pre-reads, meeting agendas, presentations, itineraries etc.
- Review all materials for accuracy and completeness.
Accounting & Billing
- Facilitate work with the Accounting Department to coordinate client bills, generate monthly internal utilization reports, provide monthly and/or quarterly estimate reporting data, analyze billing data, and respond to miscellaneous client inquiries/requests.
- Process new business forms, new client/matter reports, and conflicts of interest checks.
- Handle time entry, proformas, and bills for the assigned lawyers.
- Monitor Practice Area Team expenditures for budgeting purposes.
- Maintain roster of billing arrangements for key clients.
- Maintain monthly financial reports
- Coordinate U.S. & Foreign travel arrangements by securing end to end arrangements including flights, hotels, transfers, itineraries, and any necessary visa documentation.
- Promptly handle unexpected travel changes in a proactive and efficient manner.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the Duties and Responsibilities (Duties) above satisfactorily and meet the requirements below. The requirements listed below are representative of the minimum knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. If you need such an accommodation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org (current employees should contact Human Resources).
Education and/or Experience:
- 5+ years of related work experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proficient in MS Office applications
- Degree from an accredited college or university
- Global Law Firm Experience
- Ability to type 50 WPM
Other Skills and Abilities:
In addition to the above, the following may also be required of the successful candidate:
- Prioritization and problem solving: Your sound problem solving approach and ability to prioritize makes you an expert at bringing order to chaos and navigating uncertainty with speed and confidence; you look around corners to identify and solve problems before they arise, and are able to find solutions that balance the personal needs of the executive with the needs of the business.
- Polished executive presence: You have high emotional intelligence (EQ) and executive presence with a natural ability to build and maintain relationships across all levels of the organization. You tactfully negotiate complex business situations with sensitivity and discretion, effectively manage intricate projects and partnerships, and are a precise, polished, and well-spoken representative of the assigned lawyers and the business.
- Ownership and partnership: You're an expert at viewing the bigger, strategic picture to help anticipate needs and identify priorities. You're able to draw on previous experience to create systems that streamline operations in service of a unified goal. As you prioritize executive time, you ensure the details never slip through the cracks.
- Expert communication: You effectively drive alignment and understanding across stakeholders through efficient communication that reduces ambiguity and information churn for both yourself and others. You understand the importance of both method and timing in communications, and you skillfully adapt your style to match context and meet the unique needs of your audience. You demonstrate excellent writing, editing, grammatical, and research skills.
- Integrity and discretion: You uphold the highest standards of integrity in all that you do. You build sincere relationships based on trust and respect, and show compassion and empathy in all interactions. You display professional discretion and honor the confidence of those that entrust you with information to assist with solving problems. You use strong judgment when those discussions need to be escalated to ensure the safety and protection of the colleagues or clients involved.
Sidley Austin LLP is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Sidley Austin LLPWashington, DC
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.