Shutterfly is hiring a Director of Photography for our in-house agency in Eden Prairie, MN. Reporting to the VP and working with the Brand Creative Director, this position will head up our in-house photo studio. You bring a wealth of photo expertise, having run photo studios for retail / e-tail and consumer goods. You are at home with complex lifestyle shoots as well as projects that required a high-volume silhouette photography.
With years of experience in the industry, you know to leverage tools and technology so that you and your team can stay focused on the quality of work. You are creatively generous, giving your staff opportunities to grow, while maintaining clear expectations that keeps the work on track, on time, and on brand. You set high standards, delegate, coach and develop a high performing team. In this role you will help build a photo team of full-time and freelance talent.
Candidates who are interested should apply with a resume. Qualified candidates will be contacted for a short, preliminary phone interview. Please check your phone, email, and voicemail often for a message on the next step. Portfolios will be requested at a later time.
· Lead the in-house photo studio team
· Hire freelance photo talent: photographers, producers, stylists, assistants…
· Manage and map out the photo shoot schedule
· Plan and manage the photo budget
· Coaching and developing a full-time staff of 8
· Partner to develop or improve photo workflow from pre planning to pre-pro to postproduction
· Color and photo guru
· Oversee workflow for tagging and managing assets in the DAM (digital asset management system)
· Track and understand how photography impacts the business in terms of clicks, revenue and customer numbers
· Develop KPIs for photography
· Support the Brand Creative Director’s vision and deliverables
· Internalize the brand aesthetic and coach team to understand and support the brand
· Flexible and nimble with a love of improving the way things are done
· Team and department ambassador, driving the right technology and workflow innovation for the business
· Continuously innovating and looking for new ways to approach the work
· Keep team and department current with industry trends
Additional details on compensation, benefits, and other information will be discussed with candidates who meet requirements and move to the next step in the hiring process.
Requirements and Skills
· Four-year degree in Photography, Humanities, Fine Arts or equivalent work experience
· Minimum 12 years’ experience in studio, location and advertising photography required
· 6+ years managing, developing and coaching full-time staff
· Experience with negotiating and managing usage rights
· Solid knowledge of DAM systems and DAM workflow
· Must have consumer goods and retail/e-tail experience
· Track record of owning and managing a balanced budget
· Experience combining internal staffing with external resources to drive a cost effective, high quality photo studio
· Endlessly curious about the powers of photography what is happening in the industry
· Brilliant cross functional collaboration
· Strong leader, able to get your hands dirty and able to step back as needed
· Highly organized and able to multitask