Area Manager for Human Resources, Support Services Center
- Expired: January 24, 2023. Applications are no longer accepted.
Area Manager for Human Resources
Human Resource Department
Support Services Center
885 W Bert Kouns Industrial Loop
Shreveport, LA 71118
Full-time position, Exempt
Working closely with the Chief of Administration, Business & Technology, this is highly responsible, exempt-level of professional administrative work, which involves leading and directing the routine functions of the Human Resources (HR) department including hiring and onboarding staff, administering pay, benefits and leave, and enforcing applicable laws, policies & procedures of the library system. Performs related and other work as required.
Training and Experience
- Attainment of B.A. or B.S. from an accredited university/college
- Attainment of a graduate degree from an accredited university/college in Human Resources, Organizational Development or a related field and a minimum of 4 years of progressively responsible experience as an HR professional with
- Demonstrated 3 years of full-time equivalent supervisory experience. (Two years of part-time experience = one year of full-time experience).
- Possession of a SHRM-CP, SHRM-SCP, PHR or SPHR certification, or complete certification in first year of employment.
- Preference will be given to applicants with certification in EDI training
Preferred Training and Experience
- Working knowledge of governmental agencies
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Comprehensive knowledge of:
- Human resources principles, practices and procedures;
- State and federal laws concerning employment;
- Firm understanding of, and commitment to, maintaining confidentiality;
- Unequivocal commitment to the highest standards of personal and business ethics and conduct;
- computers and various software.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including writing concise, clear, relevant documents, including correspondence, interviewing notes; case analyses and investigative reports;
- Excellent interpersonal, counseling and negotiation skills;
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Exceptional judgment, integrity and discretion in handling confidential and sensitive matters.
- act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality
- prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate
- develop and maintain positive relationships with employees and supervisors;
- demonstrate thorough knowledge of employment-related laws and regulations;
- build consensus and trust;
- lead others through teamwork and cooperation;
- compose and present comprehensive reports;
- acquire a thorough understanding of the library's hierarchy, jobs, qualifications and administrative practices related to those factors;
- comprehend, interpret, and apply the appropriate sections of applicable laws, guidelines, regulations, ordinances and policies;
- remain tactful, calm and persuasive in controversial and/or confrontational situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms, stand, walk, sit, twist, use hands to finger, grasp, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls, talk and hear. Hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate computers and office equipment. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
The employee is occasionally required to climb, balance, stoop, crouch, squat, kneel, and crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or carry up to 20 pounds, frequently lift and/or carry up to 10 pounds. Employee must frequently push and/or pull loaded book carts weighing up to 75 pounds.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with administrators, department heads, trustees, employees, organizations, city/parish departments, and the public.
- Supervises, trains, and evaluates two HR Generalists and the Training & Development Coordinator; aids these employees in achieving their goals; evaluates workflow and productivity; provides opportunities for continuing education in their area of expertise; creates an environment conducive to communication and cooperation; receives compliments and complaints and tailors responses to their needs; investigates and resolves complaints; ultimate responsibility of all Human Resources staff; works to instill an attitude of approachability and helpfulness.
- Provides support and guidance to HR Generalists, management, and other staff when complex, specialized and sensitive questions and issues arise; may be required to administer and execute routine tasks in delicate circumstances such as providing accommodations, investigating allegations of wrongdoing, and terminations.
- Manages the daily workflow of the HR department operations including administering of pay, benefits, leave and accommodations; the onboarding process, which may include recruitment, interviewing, and hiring of qualified job applicants; collaborates with departmental managers to understand skills and competencies required for openings.
- Oversees employee disciplinary meetings, terminations, and investigations.
- Maintains compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommended best practices; reviews policies and practices to maintain compliance.
- Creates learning and development programs and initiatives that provide internal development opportunities for employees.
- Collects data and produces reports as needed.
- Attends monthly management meetings; meetings of appointed committees and workshops and conferences.
- Other duties as needed.
PRESENT SCHEDULE Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
This is an exempt position with a basic schedule of Monday - Friday during regular business hours. Occasional schedule changes may be required as related to assigned projects. Work outside of these hours may be required.
January 29, 2023
Two (2) weeks after selectionSALARY
$1380.00/weekly + benefits
96 hours vacation (with increases every other year up to 352 hours), 12 paid holidays/year + 1 personal day, 120 hours sick leave/year. Medical, dental and life insurance; library pays a portion of employee's and dependents' insurance premiums. Retirement system with the City of Shreveport. Tuition reimbursement available after one year of employment. Good library support for continuing education and attendance at conferences.
A criminal background check and a drug screening are part of the pre-hire process. A mandatory full day orientation is part of the new hire process; these orientations are scheduled on Tuesdays from 9:00am to 5:00pm. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, marital status, non-job related physical or mental disability, veterans' status, sexual orientation or gender identity. Shreve Memorial Library is committed to antiracism, equity, diversity, and inclusion through the adoption of Library policies and practices that provide opportunities for every person in our community and organization to thrive. Our facilities are non-smoking. 01.23.23
Shreve Memorial Library
Get fresh HR Service Center jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.