JOB TITLE: Mechanical Manager
LOCATION: South Bend Fleet Services
The Mechanical Service Manager is responsible for managing a team of diesel mechanics who perform all truck and trailer repair and services throughout fleet including diagnosis, repair, and maintenance. The team is also responsible for tire mounting, installation, inventory, preventative maintenance, repairs, and documentation. The Mechanical Service Manager will perform hands-on shop work when required, as well as all other managerial duties including administrative, customer service and sales.
Managerial: Ensure maximum efficiency of shop throughput and productivity of technicians. Ensure our brand promise “Immediate Attention” is being realized, by effective operational management, anticipating the needs for what’s next, and maximizing available resources.
Provide timely and accurate time records and bonus eligibility details for all team members. Manage pay increase requests and all other employee-related administrative duties.
Talent Management: Provide coaching, skill and career development, and performance feedback to team. Actively participate in hiring and onboarding new team members. Effectively manage the offboarding process for exiting team members.
Technician: Perform jobs such as inspections, wheel seals, lights, brakes, oil change, and air leaks. Should have basic hand tools up to 1/2”. Able to work independently, with occasional support from mechanics. Will have DOT Inspection Certification, Brake Certification, CDL, and refrigerant 309 card. If these certifications are not held at time of employment, they should be some of the first things done not taking longer than 90 days to complete.
Alignment: Have factory certification for Hunter alignments and serve as primary trainer for alignment and back up technician. Will be responsible for the cleanliness and serviceability of alignment equipment.
Parts Management: Perform parts look up and acquisition, work with vendors to ensure the best deal on parts, maintain inventory of fast-moving parts and maintain inventory accuracy, manage core returns and core credits, return non-stock items back to vendor. Manage vendor parts programs, and anticipate part needs.
Administration: Doing quotes, open / maintain jobs, write-ups / job comments, close jobs, ensure invoice accuracy. Work cockpit report to ensure old orders, transfers, and PO’s are closed. Receive inventory, create purchase orders and transfers. Maintaining a real time job tracker. Maintaining customer furnished forms, 3rd party billing. Record keeping / DOT files. Shrader tool inventory, technician certification.
Customer Service: Communication with the customer, understanding their needs / timelines, communicating our plan of action, cost, and timeline. Updating status, changes, and completion. Fielding customer concerns, sending requested data.
Sales: Growing the business through increased customer awareness, upselling at point of sale, focused inside sales and marketing effort. May require customer visits.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Proven leadership skills
- Team oriented
- Ability to make clear and direct decisions that positively impact efficiency, and the customer experience
- Maintain a positive attitude, flexibility, and a willingness to “do whatever it takes” to ensure our customers’ experience is the best it can be
- Strong attention to detail
- Competent in basic computer skills
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Maintain a valid driver's license and a clean driving record; CDL license is preferred
- Reliable transportation to and from work
- Certification from a diesel mechanic trade school or a minimum of 7 plus years of related experience
- Provide own tools including hand tools, impact guns, and other pneumatic tools
- Provide own outerwear appropriate for roadside service calls
- Knowledge of the commercial trucking industry
- Significant degree of work is performed on the phone, computer, or face-to-face with customers and employees.
- Some degree of physical work required including the handling, lifting, and stacking of commercial truck tires and the operation of an air gun.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds to heights ranging from waist high to above the head.
- Requires excessive standing, walking, kneeling, stooping, lifting and carrying, reaching, pushing, and pulling.
- Requires good finger dexterity, vision, hearing, speaking, and the ability to control powered tools.
- Work is performed both indoors and outdoors. Outdoor work will experience seasonal temperature changes (extreme heat and cold), and other unpredictable weather elements.
- Work is performed on a variety of surfaces including concrete, pavement, unpaved parking lots, slopes, uneven terrain, and slippery terrains.
- Work is performed in areas of dirt, dust, fumes, noise, and vibrations.
EOE STATEMENTWe are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.