Are you an RN or LPN looking for PT work? If so, we have the job for you! Shaw is looking for a PT Nurse to add to the Student Affairs team. Reporting to the VP of Student Affairs, The Staff Nurse is accountable for accurate assessment of university student patients, both in person and via telephone, in accordance with established triage protocols, and implements the proper course of action. This includes the effective assistance with the evaluation and care of student patients that need to be referred to approved outside medical providers. The Staff Nurse exhibits exceptional customer service, professionalism, and teamwork in all aspects of work and maintains a level of knowledge conducive to providing high-quality patient care in the university health center.
Essential Job Functions:
- Direct sick and injured university staff to the Human Resources department to ensure that they are transported to approved and covered medical facilities.
- Perform basic medical tests on students including but not limited to venipuncture, Sexually Transmitted Infection tests, throat cultures, pregnancy tests and tuberculin skin tests (TST).
- Effectively read test results; counsels and advises individuals regarding test results.
- Checks blood pressure, pulse rate (or heart rate), body temperature and respiratory rate as needed to conduct student patient interviews to gather information about the nature of the visit.
- Administers immunizations and allergy injections safely.
- Develops and presents knowledge-relevant workshops/seminars to include women’s health issues, sexual assault, HIV, and substance abuse.
- Restock medications, first aid kits, and other supplies in the Health Center.
- Administers non-prescription medication.
- Respond to emergency situations with appropriate medical triage and care. Administer first aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR).
- Arrange emergency transportation of students to medical facilities on an as-needed basis.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge and compliance with all University policies and procedures.
- Purchase, monitor and upgrade Health Center equipment and supplies as needed.
- Maintain strict confidentiality in all matters pertaining to students’ health-related issues.
- All other related duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Nursing from an accredited institution of higher learning or a related discipline.
- Must be a Licensed Practical Nurse or Registered Nurse.
- Minimum of 2 years of general nursing experience.
Required Knowledge of:
- Health issues, needs, and concerns of college students.
- Ethical and legal boundaries concerning HIPAA and other health-related laws and protocols.
- Medical terminology and equipment.
- Preparation and administration of drugs and medications.
- Emergency medical response, triage protocols, first aid and CPR procedures.
- Assessment and diagnostic techniques.
- Computer skill proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel software.
Certificates, Licenses or Registrations
Current Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) & First Aid certification required; Advanced Life Support certification (ALS) preferred
Other Competencies (skills, abilities, behavior)
Must have a philosophy that is consistent with the Mission, Vision and Core Values of the organization. Vision, commitment, and experience in achieving goals and pursuing excellence are critical; ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a dynamic and demanding environment. Must have strong verbal and written communication and organizational skills; proven ability to manage multiple complex assignments with sensitivity to deadlines, priorities, and changing circumstances; demonstrated professional work ethic and positive, problem‐solving attitude. Must be able to read, write and speak fluently in English.
Ability to sit or stand for up to 8 hours/day. Some lifting (up to 25 pounds occasionally), bending and carrying. The employee is regularly required to talk and hear, and to use hands and fingers to handle or feel. Works around medical devices, sharp instruments, bio-hazards (e.g., blood, body fluids).
Shaw University, located in Raleigh, North Carolina, is the first historically black institution of higher education in the South and among the oldest in the nation. Founded in 1865 by Henry Martin Tupper, our mission is to advance knowledge, facilitate student learning and achievement, to enhance the spiritual and ethical values of its students, and to transform a diverse community of learners into future global leaders.
We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.