Business Analyst - Database Administrator
Shaw University Raleigh, NC
- Posted: over a month ago
- Benefits: 401k, dental, life insurance, medical, vision,
Reporting to the Chief Information Officer, the Business Analyst – Database Administrator is responsible for the maintenance of the University’s databases, including JenzabarOne, PowerFAIDS, and other related information systems. Core responsibilities include building reports, creating dashboards, developing queries, writing SQL scripts, and integrating databases and cloud systems. The Business Analyst – Database Administrator will assist end users with the proper use of Jenzabar, PowerFAIDS, Infomaker, and ultimately help the University make better use of data to improve decision making.
Status: Exempt Department: Information Technology
Essential Job Functions:
· Deliver excellent service to the campus community by addressing their data needs
· Ensure the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the University’s databases and information systems
· Build and maintain SQL reports, dashboards, queries, scripts, and permissions
· Perform regular maintenance and optimization of databases to improve efficiency and effectiveness
· Design and implement integrations between databases and systems
· Assist and train users with the use of systems and software, including Jenzabar student information system and related databases
· Proactively address the strategic needs of the institution, particularly in the use and application of data
· Support the implementation of process improvements
· Willingness to work occasional weekends and after hours as required to support the needs of the University.
Minimum Job Qualifications
Education and/or Experience
· B.S. degree in Computer Science or related field, two years SQL experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience required,
· Strong understanding of databases and advanced SQL required,
· Higher education experience with student information systems (esp. Jenzabar) management preferred,
· Working familiarity with data warehousing and business intelligence concepts, techniques, tools, and dashboards preferred,
Knowledge or background of university business functions (including financial aid, admissions, advancement, etc.) and accounting principles preferred.
Five Specific Competencies
Sets challenging goals, tracks progress towards them, solves performance problems, and demonstrates urgency and drive towards achieving them.
Builds constructive working relationships with clients/customers, other work units, community organizations and others to meet mutual goals and objectives. Behaves professionally and supportively when working with individuals from a variety of ethnic, social and educational backgrounds.
Clearly and respectfully conveys and receives information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the listener, helps them understand and retain the message, and invites response and feedback. Keeps others informed as appropriate. Demonstrates good written, oral, and listening skills.
Makes customers/clients and their needs a primary focus of one’s actions; shows interest in and understanding of the needs and expectations of internal and external customers (including direct reports); gains customer trust and respect; meets or exceeds customer expectations.
Understands how an organization must change in light of internal and external trends and influences; keeps the big, long-range picture in mind; builds a shared long-range organizational vision with others. Committed to course of action to achieve long-range goals and influences others to translate vision into action.
Other Competencies (skills, abilities, behavior)
Must have a philosophy that is consistent with the Mission, Vision and Core Values of the organization. Vision, commitment, and experience in achieving goals and pursuing excellence is critical; ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a dynamic and demanding environment. Must have strong verbal and written communication and organizational skills; proven ability to manage multiple complex assignments with sensitivity to deadlines, priorities, and changing circumstances; demonstrated professional work ethic and positive, problem‐solving attitude. Must be able to read, write and speak fluently in English.
Ability to sit or stand for up to 8 hours/day. Some lifting (up to 25 pounds occasionally), bending, and carrying. Specific vision abilities include the ability to use close vision. The employee is regularly required to talk and hear, and to use hands and fingers to handle or feel.
We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
Shaw UniversityWhy Work Here?
Excellent opportunity to develop your skills at a historic University!
Shaw University, located in Raleigh, North Carolina, is the first historically black institution of higher education in the South and among the oldest in the nation. Founded in 1865 by Henry Martin Tupper, our mission is to advance knowledge, facilitate student learning and achievement, to enhance the spiritual and ethical values of its students, and to transform a diverse community of learners into future global leaders. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
118 E. South StreetRaleigh, NC