Director, Nursing and Patient Care Services - Sharp Rees-Stealy Medical Centers
This position is responsible for planning, organizing, and directing the coordination of Sharp Rees-Stealy ambulatory medical centers throughout San Diego County. Provides leadership and direction to managers, supervisors and leads to ensure smooth and efficient daily operations, quality outcomes, and internal and external customer satisfaction, in accordance with the SRS Mission and Goals Statement.
Responsible for directing the clinical, administrative and business management of a service line, e.g., Primary and Urgent Care, Medical and Surgical Specialty Care, in multiple locations providing ambulatory patient care services. Lead the planning, development, implementation and evaluation/improvement of services and programs. Through managers or supervisors, ensures nursing and patient care staff provide high quality, accessible, cost effective care and patient focused services across the care continuum which comply with local, state and federal requirements. Implements and maintains clinical and patient care practice standards, budgets, and staff development. Directs the management of operations, programs and services that add value and are integrated with nursing standards of practice, service priorities and performance/outcome measures, as well as with strategic, business and organizational goals/objectives. Participates as part of clinical operations leadership team in formulating, implementing and evaluating business plans/strategies for ambulatory care services and responsible for achieving both short and long term strategic, business and financial goals/objectives.
The Director Nursing/Patient Care Services is the recognized leader in understanding and interpreting standards for ambulatory clinical practice, as well as applying, evaluating and improving those standards to ensure ambulatory clinical practices meet all regulatory requirements and organizational policies and procedures, concurrently supporting the quality, service and financial goals and objectives of Sharp Rees-Stealy. For the medical centers and other ambulatory hospital-based settings associated with the medical center, this position is accountable for designing, implementing, evaluating and improving systems, methods and strategies to maintain and improve the compliance of ambulatory care service delivery, clinical quality, clinical processes/systems, performance, patient satisfaction / safety, practice standards and the effectiveness of patient care with regulatory and organizational / institutional requirements and / or standards.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
* Minimum of seven years of management experience required.
* Minimum of three years in an ambulatory health care setting or other related clinical area.
* Knowledge of ambulatory care practices, operations and local, state and federal regulatory standards.
* Must be able to work in a Highly Reliability Organization (HRO) environment.
* Ability to apply Lean management techniques, perform operational analyses, business and financial planning.
* Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills.
Master's degree in Nursing, Business/Health Care Administration or related field required
Unencumbered active California Registered Nurse licensure is required.
Sharp Rees-Stealy Medical Group
With 400 primary and specialty care physicians providing care at 22 facilities throughout the region, Sharp Rees-Stealy Medical Group is one of the largest, most comprehensive medical groups in San Diego County, and is recognized for excellence in patient satisfaction and clinical care. For patient convenience and improved coordination of care, Sharp Rees-Stealy offers services like laboratory, radiology, physical therapy and urgent care within each clinic or nearby.
Sharp Rees-Stealy has also recently opened a remarkable state-of-the-art medical office building, located in Del Mar. All clinics will continue to provide their communities with leading edge care for decades to come.
Our newest medical center is scheduled to open in Santee in summer 2020.
Quality and Customer Service
* Reviews patient satisfaction surveys, employee opinion surveys and all other customer satisfaction indicators.
* Develops systems, action plans and procedures to assure quality outcomes for internal and external customers.
* Acts as a patient advocate resolving patient care issues.
* Demonstrate professional demeanor to physicians, staff and administrative team.
* Ensures that services meet patients', physicians and internal clients' needs in a changing, competitive health care market.
* Accountable for the day to day operations by directing the nursing and patient care staff to develop, implement, monitor and evaluate/improve nursing standards of practice, service priorities and performance/outcome measures, as well as with strategic, business and organizational goals/objectives.
* Collaborates and networks with managers, supervisors and staff to facilitate and emphasize teamwork, regional and departmental integration and efficient resource utilization. Leads and participates in Highly Reliable Organization processes, task forces, committees and other projects as required.
* Ensures clinical staff are working within their scope and effectively at the top of their license.
* Ensures patient care staff provide the highest quality of care and are in compliance with the Nurse Practice Act, TJC, NCQA, federal, state and local requirements.
* Ensures regulatory compliance with High Level Disinfection processes, including training, monitoring and equipment.
* Determines the appropriate staff mix for multiple departments and manages human resources functions; develops processes to screen, interview, hire, train, and maintain the competency of all staff.
* Plans and manages clinical staff and programs, including operating in capital budgets, staffing, recruitment and retention, performance management and programs in service enhancement.
* Develops and manages budgets and resource allocation. Monitors financial performances and identifies and implements strategies to reduce costs and improve quality of care and service.
* Directs fiscal responsibility for operating budgets, productivity, capital equipment and clinical space utilization. Coordinates with Patient Care Managers and gets medical staff input on clinical equipment needs to ensure optimal service and quality of care.
* Directs the management of financial plans, resources and budgets.
* Provides direction and guidance to direct reports, including managers, supervisors and leads. Fosters leadership development, communication skills, and empowerment of these individuals through modeling, coaching, and leadership training.
* Provides expertise to site management with nursing and scope of practice issues. Directs and coordinates nursing and clinical management committees.
* Directs the management of ambulatory care programs, services and operations through managers, supervisors and leads.
* Directs the strategic planning process for the respective clinical service line and all nursing services.
* Directs the coordination/integration of outpatient services between departments and across the continuum of care and directs the continuous improvement of all clinical practices, services and operations by design and implementation of systems, processes and methods to evaluate and improve patient care.
* Reducing Practice Variation, Be Well and Standardized Work for all ambulatory staff.
* Participates in community relations activities to enhance the image and reputation of the organization.
* May represent the organization in activities involving leaders in business, government, labor, the community at large, health plan members and health care providers in San Diego.
* Participates on assigned committees at Sharp System and Division levels.
* Serves as a liaison with Sharp Rees-Stealy Medical Group and system level support departments and programs.
* In collaboration with the CCOO and the Chief Medical Officer, directly and/or through subordinate dyad's plans, organize, directs and controls the operations of assigned departments within the Division/Medical Group. Directly and with subordinate managers, establishes and maintains operational, clinical and performance standards.
* Maintains close liaison with Sharp Rees-Stealy Medical Group to assure their involvement with the continuity of quality service outcomes and the resolution of operational problems.
* Collaborates with physician dyad partner and department chairs/chiefs in planning and developing the level of patient services/programs and the day-to-day operations of depar