The Medical Assistant works closely with medical and clinical staff in providing care to patients in detox hospital setting. Ability to work as part of a treatment team in a setting with changing demands.
Experience working with substance use disorders and psychiatric/mental health patients in complex medical settings is highly desirable.
- Interact with clients actively intoxicated, experiencing symptoms of withdrawal
- Provide safety, stability and direction to clients
- Identify emerging situation and respond appropriately
- Preform accurate, timely and ethical documentation at all times, including admissions, discharges, inventories of patients personal belongings, documentation of all significant interaction with individual patients
- Monitor/observe Urinalysis or Breathalyzer tests as needed and document appropriately
- Monitor and document client vital signs, physical condition, and behaviors as part of the program structure
- Supports medical staff as needed
- Administration of medications as per QMAP protocols, working closely with medical team including physicians, NP’s, PA’s and nurses regarding medications in general, proactively seek clarification when needed.
- Use Electronic Health Record software for documentation
- Monitors the facility to insure it is maintained and in order, report concerns to direct supervisor, review and apply security protocols of the facility
- Dispose of bio-hazard waste according to OSHA standards
- Practice OSHA safety standards and universal precautions
- Communicate to the medical team observed medical complications or signs of distress in patients
- Transport client to hospital or other approved serves as directed by medical and program personnel
- Attend and participate in staff meetings, training and supervision