The senior level accountant creates appropriate entries and schedules in preparation of the financial statement close and consolidation process on a monthly/quarterly/annual basis. Assists in the identification and resolution of accounting issues encountered while keeping the Supervisor and Manager apprised of potential issues requiring attention. Interfaces with all levels of personnel across all locations and departments regarding accounting issues.
60% Revenue Analysis
• Provides assurance on pre-need sales accounting, including but not limited to, deferred revenue and trust investments.
• Recognize anomalies within revenue accounting and work with supervisor to insure proper accounting is achieved.
• Analyzes production entries, amounts and sales trends.
• Prepares funeral and cemetery case volume and interment count journal entries and trends.
• Assists the Supervisor/Manager in helping other departments brainstorm additional revenue sources and their appropriate accounting implications.
• Assists in providing assurance on insurance sales accounting and commissions.
• Reviews cemetery sales contracts to ensure proper revenue recognition within determined guidelines.
• Prepares cost versus revenue analysis to analyze relationships and trends relating to products.
• Performs accounting research related to revenue recognition as necessary.
• Calculates and records cancellation reserves and bad debt allowance.
• Suggests need for new or changed controls and/or procedures and recommend such changes to management as necessary.
• Ensures that transactions are properly supported and classified in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
• Assists the Supervisor and Manager with special projects as necessary.
40% Auditing and Compliance
• Performs income statement verification and analysis.
• Verifies production and delivery statistics.
• Validates source systems for revenues and costs of sales.
• Assists the supervisor in the coordination of the internal and external audits.
• Provides schedules and documentation to internal and external audit groups.
CORE / CRITICAL COMPETENCIES
Demonstrates a Commitment to Services Excellence, Trustworthiness and Integrity
• Shows consistency among principles, values, ethical standards and personal behavior
• Is trusted by supervisors and peers to keep one’s word and follow through on commitments
• Brainstorms and generates new ways to look at processes and problems
• Assists the team in identifying cost savings and revenue opportunities
• Generates new ideas and initiatives
• Balances time, resources and quality requirements to achieve business goals
• Sets high standards of performance for self and others
• Assists in driving the achievement of agreed-upon results
• Actively supports change initiatives
• Assists the Supervisors in coaching junior level staff to adapt to multiple demands, shifting priorities, and rapid change
• Conveys information clearly and concisely in written and spoken communication
• Listens effectively and provides frequent feedback
• Creates environment in which team members share information openly and honestly
• Makes effective and motivating presentations
Collaborate with Others
• Utilizes optimal level of collaboration with team members to achieve business goals
• Shares credit with others for their contributions
• Celebrates team successes
Build Productive Relationships (Internal / External)
• Relates well to people with diverse backgrounds and perspectives
• Maintains composure and constructive relationships even under difficult circumstances
• Bachelor Degree in Finance, Accounting or in a related discipline
• CPA/CMA certification is plus
• 3-5 years of experience in revenue accounting/analysis, auditing, financial reporting or equivalent experience in a related field
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Industry experience, a plus
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, preferably with a heavy focus on Access and Excel
• Work indoors and outdoors during all seasons and weather conditions
• Standard business dress is required
• Sitting continuously for many hours per day, up to 6 hours per day
• Physical effort requiring manual dexterity is required, includes paperwork, calculators, computers and phone usage
• Working beyond “standard” hours during month end close, quarter end and year ends, and as required for additional projects