SUMMARY: The FSQA Laboratory Technician is responsible for compliance with USDA regulations and company requirements to ensure the highest standard and quality of work, adherence to procedures, and accuracy of results. In the event that the Laboratory Technician is absent or incapacitated, the Micro Laboratory Manager can call-in another technician to cover or if one is not able than the Lab Manager will cover the Technicians position for that shift.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: This list is not intended to be all-inclusive and other duties may be assigned.
- Responsible for the safety of oneself and others working within their area.
- Ensure that safety, housekeeping and compliance standards are maintained.
- Perform laboratory analysis using established procedures and techniques and evaluate and verify sample results and data entry.
- Apply aseptic/microbiological techniques and good laboratory practices in daily activities.
- Collect and prepare samples for chemical or microbial analysis (environmental, finished or raw product, food and non-food contact surfaces, and others as required).
- Perform microbial analysis of foods and food ingredients (aerobic plate counts, coliform/ coli counts, yeast/mold counts, etc.) and food contact surfaces.
- Perform chemical analysis of foods and food ingredients (pH, Iron, Calcium, Protein, Fat, Moisture, Antimicrobial Residuals, Allergen testing, and others as required).
- Accurately read test results, maintain records, and report results and deviations to Micro Laboratory Manager.
- Assist in performing pre-operational inspection of facility.
- Perform daily and non-daily housekeeping of laboratory working spaces and equipment
- Perform general office duties, such as filing, data entry, and document preparation
- Report inventory and expendable supplies/materials needed for testing requirements
- Provide routine preventive maintenance to laboratory equipment.
- Assist in laboratory quality control duties to by taking incubator temperatures, inoculating control organisms, running media controls etc., and other laboratory quality control procedures including record keeping and updating quality control documentation
- Assist with training and research assignments
- Assist with managing priorities and schedule such that individual goals as well as team goals are achieved with encouraged participation in the team.
- Responsible for the completion of required training
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the work environment, knowledge, skill, and/or ability required or preferred. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Requires a minimum high school diploma; plus completion of science based classes such as biology, chemistry, micro, etc. at a college level is greatly preferred or the combination of education and experience that enables performance in all aspects of the position. Experience in food manufacturing desirable. Must be resourceful, self-sufficient and able to adapt to a fast-paced environment.
COMMUNICATION SKILLS: Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills and demonstrated ability to work well with others. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, and/or governmental regulations. Requires the ability to work as a team member and individually to complete given tasks.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read and interpret documents in the English language such as safety files and procedure manuals. Must be able to effectively communicate with management personnel and others within and outside of the organization.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to apply mathematical applications to practical situations. Must possess strong analytical and metric-based skills.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical, diagram, written and/or verbal form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables. Ability to troubleshoot, analyze varying situations and develop quantifiable solutions.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Proficient in computer skills such as Outlook, Excel and Word, as well as all standard programs used by the industry and the ability to learn and effectively use any and all other computer programs that are or will be made available. Must be organized, detail oriented and possess good troubleshooting skills. Must have reliable transportation.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to talk or hear. Generally the incumbent must be able to sit and use a computer for extended periods of time. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; move about the facility; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift, push/pull up to 40 pounds. Must be able to climb ladders and platforms and enter confined spaces. Must be able to wear all safety equipment. Individual must be able to effectively work in a laboratory environment as well as normal production environment where temperatures and noise levels may vary.
Seaboard Triumph Foods
Why Work Here?Good companies invest in their products. Great companies invest in their people. Seaboard Triumph Foods does both. As far as we are concerned, our corner of the world has two gold mines: its agricultural background and its talented workforce. We believe in rewarding both with advancement opportunities, beautiful facilities, strong benefits, and community involvement.
Excellent benefits. New, Safe, & Automated Facility.
Sioux City, IA