Director of Development
- Expired: October 21, 2021. Applications are no longer accepted.
Scion Executive Search (www.scionexecutivesearch.com) has been retained to conduct the search for a Director of Development for the Women’s Business Development Council (WBDC), a nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering women to thrive in business across the state of Connecticut.
Over the past twenty-five years, WBDC has helped more than 18,000 women across 169 towns in Connecticut become successful entrepreneurs and business owners. WBDC’s services are in high demand, especially in light of the pandemic’s impact on local economies and businesses. The incoming Director of Development will lead fundraising efforts for the organization and work to expand unrestricted revenue to support internal staff and program growth. This role will closely partner with the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) to strengthen relationships with external stakeholders and donors across the state.
This full-time opportunity is for immediate hire and will require the incoming leader to work from a home office during the pandemic, most likely moving to a hybrid model thereafter. Some travel across the state is expected. WBDC requires all employees to provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination. Qualified individuals seeking an exemption from this vaccination requirement may apply for a medical or religious exemption.
This is an amazing leadership opportunity to work with a driven, highly motivated, and engaged team to provide the tools and resources to help women thrive in business.
About Women’s Business Development Council (wbdc)
Did you know? U.S. women-owned businesses are growing 5x the national average of all firms. If U.S. women-owned businesses were their own country, they would have the 5th largest GDP in the world!
WBDC is dedicated to supporting women in achieving economic equity through a multifaceted approach of education, funding, and professional development. With three offices across the state, WBDC has been leading entrepreneurial and financial trainings for women in Connecticut since 1997. WBDC’s connection to and impact on local businesses positioned them well to seize new opportunities and continue to play an important role in the post pandemic economic revitalization. Thanks to their driven and passionate team—the organization has ramped up trainings, services, and resources to meet rising business needs.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer (COO) and working closely with the CEO, the incoming Director of Development will create and deploy a fundraising strategy to achieve WBDC’s strategic plan, including growing and diversifying sustainable funding streams for the organization and planning for WBDC’s upcoming 25th anniversary. Leveraging great relationship-building and prospect-cultivation skills, this role will have a heavily external-facing component, as a key responsibility of the Director of Development will be to attract investors and other stakeholders to the work and impact of WBDC and seize on new opportunities and partnerships.
The Director of Development will lead a team of three, including a Development Manager, Development/Marketing Assistant, and Grant Writer Consultant. Additionally, this incoming leader will manage vendor relations to include a long-time event fundraising consultant. WBDC’s current budget is close to $4M and is primarily comprised of federal and state grants, events, and individual donations. This role will work to diversify WBDC’s portfolio, focusing on areas of opportunity for the organization such as the hedge fund industry, consumer products, insurance, and private equity. This includes performing research and outreach to initiate and then cultivate new networks and contacts. WBDC is viewed as a specialist in business and economic policy across the state and is regularly called upon by members of the legislature and governor, so this position will also need to leverage an understanding of public policy and government in relationship development with key stakeholders.
The Director of Development is an integral member of WBDC’s leadership team and works closely with the Board/Board Development Committee to educate the community and leverage network contacts. In addition to serving as the development and fundraising expert, the ideal candidate must possess the abilities of a strong leader and communicator who can lead a highly motivated development team – and work alongside a highly passionate and driven leadership team.
Responsibilities Of This Role Include
- Managing all development efforts and serving alongside senior management team to ensure that organizational health and initiatives are prioritized.
- Leading special fundraising projects and events; most pertinent: WBDC’s upcoming 25th anniversary.
- Directing innovative high-level fundraising efforts that enable the organization to raise significant gifts from new and existing prospects and donors.
- Leading a team of highly qualified development professionals and working to establish a donor-centric culture throughout the organization.
- Managing day-to-day development operations and tracking the progress of critical fundraising, grant writing, event planning, and donor relation advancements.
- Building on key external relations strategies, including relationship-building and communication efforts targeted towards individual, foundation, corporate, and government stakeholders.
- Identifying and addressing areas of development improvement and needs by implementing strategic plans and programs.
WBDC is looking for a multifaceted, independent, driven, and passionate Director of Development who can diversify the organization’s revenue and position its budget for growth. The ideal candidate will be a great communicator and strategist, leveraging an entrepreneurial spirit to research, reach out to, and cultivate new relationships with new partners on behalf of the organization. Some of the unique qualifications for this role include:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent development experience.
- 5+ years of leadership experience, holding progressively responsible positions in development, fundraising, sales, marketing, and/or communications.
- 8+ years of development experience.
- Advanced proficiency with customer relationship management (CRM) databases, moves management processes, and donor prospecting.
- Proven track record of creating, managing and implementing a strategic and comprehensive fund development program.
- Experience with development office functions (i.e., gift processing, prospect research, reporting, and analytics).
- Demonstrated success in annual fund, corporate, foundation, individual major gifts fundraising, and grant-writing.
- A capacity to formulate both traditional and innovative fundraising strategies.
- Successful record of soliciting corporate, foundation, and individual major gifts; building and cultivating relationships; and utilizing a strong network of contacts.
- Willingness to travel locally, regionally, and on rare occasions nationally following COVID-19 safety protocols.
- Public policy/government affairs experience a plus.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (e.g., Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, SharePoint, etc.); eTapestry; and virtual meeting platforms such as Microsoft Teams, SharePoint, and Zoom.
This wonderful opportunity offers the ability to make significant impact leading WBDC’s development efforts and driving its mission to support women entrepreneurs!
In addition to a competitive base salary between $120,000 to $130,000, WBDC offers bonus potential based on goal achievement and organizational performance. WBDC also offers a competitive benefits package including health, dental, and vision insurance; 15 days of paid time off (PTO) to start; after one year of employment, an additional 5 days of PTO and an additional paid week off during the winter holidays; 16 paid holidays; the opportunity to contribute to a 401(k) retirement plan; life and long-term disability insurance; the option to work a compressed week (e.g., half-days on Fridays); and more in a supportive and flexible working environment.
This is an opportunity and mission that will inspire you daily!
Applications And Nominations
The Women’s Business Development Council (WBDC) has retained the services of Scion Executive Search, a national executive search firm specializing in recruitment for mission-driven organizations, to assist in conducting this important search. For immediate consideration please apply with your resume and cover letter formatted in Microsoft Word via: http://www.scionstaffing.com/job/8063
Please Address Applications To
Rebecca Lerol, Executive Search Principal
Mayra Leon Coss, Executive Search Associate
Scion Executive Search
Review of applications, nominations, and expressions of interest will begin immediately and continue a confidential basis until an appointment is made.
The Women’s Business Development Council (WBDC) is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages diversity and equity in all facets of the organization’s work. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other protected class.
About Our Firm
Scion Executive Search is a national, award-winning executive search firm. Since 2006, we have successfully placed hundre...
Non ProfitView all jobs at Scion Staffing