Mechanical engineers work in multidisciplinary project teams and are responsible for designing, building, and testing the mechanical components that make up the design of company’s instrumentation products. The mechanical engineer will work closely with the product development team to design components and systems that meet engineering requirements. The mechanical engineer will see the design of a part or system from conception all the way through to commercial release.
- Work with the Instrument Systems Engineer to design, build, and test the mechanical components instrumentation.
- Design machined, sheet metal, and injection molded parts and work with suppliers to manufacture them.
- Assist the Instrument Systems Engineer in the development and execution of system test plans.
- Perform initial and ongoing design reviews.
- Perform engineering calculations to support design work
- Learn mass spectrometry technology and how to operate the instrument.
- Working within an interdisciplinary team of engineering, applications development, and operational employees to achieve strategic, operational, and technical objectives in a manner that ensures the product performance meet customer needs.
- Deliver documentation offering a critical analysis and suggestions for correcting errors.
- Create complete and accurate documentation including engineering drawings, Bill of Materials and Build instructions for all design using Solidworks. Generate manufacturing documentation.
- Support in-house build and assembly of the product from proof-of-concept (POC) phase through production.
- Design components of functional systems and modify existing design to develop or improve products and manufacturability
- Provide CAD support for engineers and scientists throughout the organization.
- Minimum BSME discipline with 3-5 years design experience. Medical device design experience a plus.
- Proficiency in Solidworks CAD and working knowledge of Solidworks PDM administration experience.
- Knowledgeable of Design for Manufacturability encompassing sheet metal, injection molding and machining operations through coordination with supplier and internal team members.
- Experience with GD&T, FEA, and DFMA.
- Self-motivated, detail oriented, able to work independently on multiple projects with minimal supervision. Provide clear and concise updates.
- Liaising with inter department team members and outside supplier. Experience working in cross-functional team.
- Self-starter, with a hands-on, roll-up-the-sleeves mentality, and the ability to define and execute project objectives and priorities on time and on budget.
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes.
- Experience designing and building electromechanical devices.
- Contribute to the development of project budgets and timelines
- Report progress and status of assigned projects on a timely basis with emphasis on reporting results to the Mechanical Engineering Manager.
- Ability to work within the United States
- Experience with metrology techniques.
- Experience with Simulation Modeling (structural and fluid).
- Knowledge of product certification processes (e.g. UL, CE, FCC).
- Someone who considers themselves a “Maker”, hobbyist, or tinkerer.
- Coding experience: Python, Java, C#, etc.
- He/she must have an intellectual curiosity and be active in the company by observing and asking questions to learn.
- Occasional travel as needed.
- Interested in Electrical engineering, physics, and chemistry.
Why Work Here?Since 1983, Scientific Search has been placing technical, management, and executive level professionals. We have been named one of the fastest growing, privately held companies in South Jersey by the Philadelphia Business Journal six times, and one of the prestigious Philadelphia 100 companies on four occasions. We are also a member of the nationally recognized Inc. 5000. We were recently recognized as one of the best places to work in NJ.
An incredible opportunity with a fast-paced, growing organization!