- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Science Systems and Applications, Inc. (SSAI) is seeking a Software Engineer to support projects on the Hydrosphere, Biosphere, and Geophysics (HBG) contract at NASA's GSFC.
If you are on a journey to explore and expand your ideas and career, you are ready for HBG. This contract provides scientific, engineering and software support for the design, development and testing of remote sensors, sensor systems, space-based instruments, sensor calibration and on-orbit performance analysis to NASA.
Situated at NASA/GSFC in Greenbelt, MD, this position will provide software support for the Global Inventory Modeling and Mapping Studies Group (GIMMS) to develop software applications and analysis of various satellite data streams. The GIMMS group uses a variety of Earth science satellite data for climate and environmental monitoring, land use/land cover change, agriculture production, ecological-climate based modeling of vector-borne disease transmission, and machine learning with high-performance computing using large volumes of commercial sub-meter scale satellite data for environmental purposes.
- Update various datasets of satellite and other ancillary data, running analytics to produce risk maps of the occurrence of disease outbreaks on an on-going basis, and improving and upgrading the application as required.
- Assist in the continued development of global agricultural monitoring App.
- Take part in machine learning activities using large volumes of sub-meter commercial satellite data for environmental purposes.
- Combine programming languages with databases and APIs to create dynamic, informative, and user-friendly applications.
- Provide project updates in functional and technical document format.
- Understand existing code and offer ways to further optimize it.
- Monitor and write code to meet the needs and upgrades of current project performance.
- Understand libraries and incorporate them in code appropriately.
- Code and deploy applications in a Cross-Platform, Cross-Browser Environment.
- Write code and perform various classifications using high resolution data sets (sub-meter).
- Other job-related duties as assigned.
At SSAI we invest in our people, optimize creativity and leverage opportunities. We provide robust training opportunities and mentoring to advance your career. Our collaborative team environment encourages employees to be enthusiastic, creative and to bring challenging ideas that enhance your passion for science and technology while maintaining work-life balance. If this is what you are looking for, we want to hear from you.
- BS degree in computer science or similar with 2 years of relevant experience
- Demonstrated experience in Python programming
- Knowledgeable of Web Application Development Frameworks and LAMP
- Understanding of Object-Oriented Programming (OOP)
- Experience providing updates, troubleshooting, and performing unit testing of websites
- Proficient in POSTGRESQL (or similar database)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Capable of working both independently and within a dynamic project team
- Strong analytical and problem-solving background
- Willingness to learn and improve
- US Citizenship required
- Understanding of mapping software and satellite data sets would be a plus
- Experience with C/C++
- Interest or familiarity in Earth Sciences
EOE, including disability/vets
Science Systems & Applications
Get fresh Software Requirements jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.