Relay Commissioning Technician - Automation
Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories Hanover, MD
- Posted: over a month ago
- Benefits: 401k, dental, life insurance, medical, vision,
Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories Engineering Services (SEL-ES) seeks a Relay Commissioning Technician with Automation experience who wishes to work in a fast paced and ever changing high tech environment. If you have demonstrated successful experience in manual dexterity, the ability to multi-task, and possess process improvement skills, we invite you to consider joining our innovative team. This position is based in our Hanover, Maryland office! United States Citizenship is required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Knows and applies concepts in the planning, design, testing, installation, commissioning, and maintenance of electrical power systems.
2. Develop and maintain a basic level of knowledge in the detail design practices of SEL protection and automation systems as well as quality standards.
3. Conduct tests in support of department objectives, documenting and reporting malfunctions and identifying/analyzing undesirable trends.
4. Perform wiring modifications and physical installation of electrical protection, control, and automation equipment as required.
5. Work in a safe, healthful and environmentally sound manner, report accidents and unsafe conditions promptly, and perform ergonomic exercises to reduce likelihood of injuries.
6. Follow and apply SEL Values, Principles of Operations, and World Class Manufacturing Principles.
7. Understand, create, and simplify.
8. Other duties as assigned.
Associate’s degree in Electrical Engineering Technology or equivalent certification, training and experience
Ability to provide technical service and/or engineering support in an engineering environment
Ability to read and interpret electrical schematic drawings and wiring diagrams
Possess basic knowledge of standards, codes and regulations specific to electrical power systems
Willing to travel up to 75% of the time
Strong writing, documentation, and speaking skills
Ability to learn new skills and assume new responsibilities
Ability to work cooperatively in a team environment
Background check results satisfactory to SEL
Negative drug test result(s)
Ability to write automated test plans for testing protective devices
Familiarity with industry protocols (IEC-61850, DNP, Modbus)
Familiarity with Autocad, Microstation and AcSELerator Quickset
Familiarity with modern test equipment (Doble/Omicron)
Familiarity with RTS
Ability to work in outside environments with varying climates
Ability to stand, walk, sit, bend, squat, climb, and use arm and hand movements
Ability to carry tools and to handle materials and equipment of up to 50 pounds
Ability to work at heights on lifts, stepladders and/or extension ladders
Hanover, MD - Hanover is centrally located between Baltimore and Annapolis. You can enjoy a variety of shopping, entertainment, and access to great schools and universities.
An Award Winning Company
Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc. (SEL) has earned a reputation for quality, reliability, integrity, and service. This has enabled us to expand within both the electric utility and industrial markets in many different industries, markets, and geographies around the world.
Communication with Applicants
SEL sends an initial e-mail response to all applicants at time of résumé or CV submittal. If you do not receive this communication, please check your SPAM filter and make sure your system is not blocking e-mails from SEL. It is important that you ensure your receipt of this e-mail as SEL may communicate future position updates via e-mail.
SEL is an Equal Opportunity Employer: M/F/Vets/Disabled.
• We run SEL like our moms would want us to and part of that is taking care of our employees.
• We’re 100% employee owned. We recruit employee owners at SEL, not just employees.
• Onsite gym with classes and wellbeing programs.
• Tuition Assistance program
• Onsite Medical Clinic
• 95% company paid medical/dental/vision/life coverage
• Awarded by Fortune Magazine s one of the 100 best companies to work for,100 best workplaces for millennials, 20 best workplaces for baby boomers, and 15 best workplaces for manufacturing and production.
Schweitzer Engineering LaboratoriesWhy Work Here?
Become a valued employee owner. Enjoy great benefits, employee stock ownership plan, and the opportunity to invent your future!
SEL invents, designs, and builds digital products and systems that protect power grids around the world. This technology prevents blackouts and enables customers to improve power system reliability and safety at a reduced cost. A 100 percent employee-owned company headquartered in Pullman, Washington, SEL has manufactured products in the United States since 1984 and now serves customers worldwide. Our mission is simple: to make electric power safer, more reliable, and more economical. Why SEL? • We run SEL like our moms would want us to and part of that is taking care of our employees. • We’re 100% employee owned. We recruit employee owners at SEL, not just employees. • Onsite gym with classes and wellbeing programs. • Tuition Assistance program • Onsite Medical Clinic • 95% company paid medical/dental/vision/life coverage • Awarded by Fortune Magazine s one of the 100 best companies to work for,100 best workplaces for millennials, 20 best workplaces for baby boomers, and 15 best workplaces for manufacturing and production.