Editorial Content Manager
- $87,000 Yearly
The position reports to the VP of MarCom & Industry Relations (VP) and leads the day-to-day operations of SNA’s flagship print and digital publication, School Nutrition (SN), and executes other editorial-driven digital and print projects. The position provides editorial expertise for a wide variety of SNA’s digital and print communications, ensuring vibrant, error-free content, produced to high-quality standards. The position is responsible for writing responsibilities, ranging from long-form magazine feature articles to short news or promotional items for digital media. The position ensures adherence to editorial standards for the magazine and various ancillary products.
School Nutrition Magazine
• Serve as managing editor for the bimonthly School Nutrition magazine and online magazine hub (including SN Plus).
• Work closely with the VP to develop and implement long- and short-term editorial goals for SN, as well as special projects and initiatives to leverage the magazine’s brand identity, enhance its digital edition, heighten reader engagement, and boost advertising.
• Lead the development and implementation of the annual editorial calendar in collaboration with the SN magazine team, Marketing Manager, and VP.
• Research and write feature articles and columns, including ghostwriting for SNA leaders and/or staff.
• Collaborate with SNA staff and freelance writers to assign and track stories, provide resources and background information and edit all articles to meet set goals and ensure adherence to standards of integrity and quality.
• Foster existing writer relationships and assist in recruiting a new pool of contributors, with an emphasis on bringing diverse voices to the magazine.
• In collaboration with the Marketing Manager, develop and implement promotion plans, including social media, for SN Magazine and SN Plus.
• Collaborate with advertising sales team and advertisers to write and edit sponsored content across various SNA properties.
Journal of Child Nutrition & Management
• Acts as primary staff liaison to the contracted editor for The Journal of Child Nutrition & Management (Journal), providing administrative support and coordination with web team.
• In collaboration with the Marketing Manager, develop promotion plans for each issue of the Journal and work with the social media team on implementation of those plans.
• Draft speeches, scripts, talking points and supporting materials for SNA leadership to deliver at conferences and industry events.
• Provide editorial services (writing, copyediting, proofreading) for a wide variety of print and digital projects generated within the Center and from other departments to ensure consistency, clarity and adherence to standards for quality and integrity.
• In collaboration with other members of the Center, produce and maintain an SNA Style Guide, with appropriate variances for different communications.
• Develop and implement promotion plans for each issue of SN magazine and Journal, including web stories, email/newsletter marketing and social.
• Implement the approved SNA content strategy for the website including planning and implementing any relevant projects and content approval workflows.
• Maintain the quality of the website, including reviewing all content regularly, developing processes for updating content, and identifying content update needs.
• Implement improvements to the website user experience based on current web practices.
• Work with Web Specialist to develop look and content for microsites for meetings, events, and other special promotional campaigns.
• Recommends benchmarks, KPIs, and metrics for School Nutrition and other assigned products.
• Produce and analyze monthly and quarterly analytic reports and provide recommendations for adjustments for the VP to inform strategy.
• Provide campaign-based, monthly, and quarterly reports for SNA leadership on defined benchmarks and metrics.
• Work with SNA staff.
• Regularly works with outside vendors, contractors, and consultants on specific projects as needed.
• Receives general supervision and direction from position’s supervisor. Exercises independent judgment and discretion regularly.
• Supervises MarCom & Industry Relations Coordinator and Web Specialist.
• Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (Communications, Marketing, Journalism, etc.) or high school diploma with additional training and/or professional work experience.
• Five years or more of demonstrated experience managing or administering a publication (digital print) with minimum supervision, including planning, coordinating content development, and execution.
• Strong understanding of current digital media landscape
• Expertise in grammar, copyediting and proofreading with an ability to adapt writing styles for different audiences and reflect an organization’s voice. (AP Style preferred)
• Understands writing, reporting, interviewing and journalistic fundamentals.
• Deadline-oriented with knowledge of print publication processes and schedules.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate specialized technical information verbally and in writing clearly, concisely and accurately for different non-technical audiences.
• Ability to manage workloads to meet long- and short-term deadlines and to keep pace with daily operational demands.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Demonstrated skills in program planning, budgeting, evaluation and analysis to achieve results and organizational goals.
• Ability to coach, train and motivate staff to achieve results and organizational goals.
• Demonstrated skills in collaboration, teamwork and working in a group to achieve specific goals and meet deadlines.
• Highly developed communications skills, including professional writing and editing and verbal skills for a variety of internal and external audiences.
• Demonstrated experience using a database to access customer or member information, using the internet to conduct research, project management tools, and expertise in Microsoft tools such as Teams, SharePoint, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook, as well as virtual meeting platforms such as Zoom.
• Expertise in Adobe Creative Suite preferred.
School Nutrition AssociationArlington, VA
How can the hiring manager reach you?
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.