- Posted: over a month ago
- $136,306 to $204,460 Yearly
Founded by legendary aircraft designer Burt Rutan, Scaled Composites is a 37 year old aerospace composites company continually working to push boundaries, prove out ideas, and influence the future. We design, build, and test proof-of-concept, prototype, and milestone achieving vehicles. We have flown an average of one new aircraft type per year over our 37 year history such as Proteus, GlobalFlyer, SpaceShipOne, Model 401, and Stratolaunch.
Our employees come from a diverse background of talents, experience, and interests. This unique combination of individuals helps promote a hands-on, innovative and creative atmosphere. Scaled offers the opportunity to pursue career and personal interests in a manner that can be found nowhere else by following one simple rule: have fun.
If you like to fly unique, exciting aircraft and be part of program teams where you can influence their design and operation, read on:
As a Scaled Composites test pilot, you will provide comprehensive technical support for experimental and developmental aircraft and payload systems development in a rapid design and prototyping environment. You will rely on your extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. It is imperative that you establish and maintain effective relationships with colleagues.
Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Piloting multiple experimental aircraft as well as chase, pace, photo, and target aircraft
· Writing flight test plans, test cards, flight reports, and final test reports
· Leading and/or participating in system design and design reviews (commensurate with
previous engineering discipline)
· Developing test strategies, test plans and test procedures for aircraft and components,
given system requirements
· Leading and/or participating in ground and flight test events as Test Crew member or Test Conductor
· Authoring and/or updating Pilot Operating Handbooks to include development of normal
and emergency procedures
· Participating in preflight and post flight briefings; and documenting test results
· Maintaining flying currency and proficiency in multiple different aircraft types
· FAA Commercial Single and Multi‐Engine Land pilots license with Instrument Rating;
additional ratings and Type Ratings, including CFI S/MEL and CFII
are highly desirable
· Possess FAA high altitude endorsement or equivalent military training
· Obtain and maintain a FAA Class II medical certificate
· Minimum 1000 hours total PIC flight time, to include recip and turbine time
· Graduate of a full course test pilot school or have equivalent training and experience
· Possess an engineering degree in aeronautical, mechanical, or electrical engineering, or
similar technical foundation to support aircraft design and
· Be independent and motivated; able to self‐direct and manage time effectively
· Be able to travel occasionally on project aircraft trips
· Be knowledgeable with applicable Federal Aviation Regulations for flight operations and
· Have excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD security clearance and program access.
· United States citizenship
Essential Job Functions:
· Must have the ability to work in cramped, confined cockpit environments in both hot and
cold environments for up to 8 hours with limited movement
· Able to operate cockpit flight controls with center stick, yoke and side stick
· Able to push rudder up to 150 lbs., elevator forces up to 150 lbs., and aileron forces up to
· Must be able to enter and exit cockpit areas up to 4 feet off the ground
· Must wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as instructed
· Must be able to work in a high stress environment when required
Scaled Composites, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or status as a qualified individual with a disability or Vietnam era or other protected veteran.
TravelView all jobs at Scaled Composites
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?