Sr. Mechanical Engineer - Advanced Development
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
SawStop, the world leader in power tool safety, is looking for driven, passionate engineers to join our growing engineering team. Our engineers develop world class products that improve the lives of thousands of power tools users by preventing devastating and life-changing table saw injuries.
Experience this incredible innovation firsthand by joining our dedicated team of highly talented engineers. We offer a fun, fast-paced environment that supports practical innovation creating new products that are meaningful for our customers. You will immediately be able to make meaningful contributions to our next generation of products through participation on our development teams.
Teamwork and collaborative discussions are second nature to us at SawStop, and we thrive working side by side with the mechanical engineers on safety system designs, electrical motor controls, and other new concepts for improved systems and completely different tools. Join our team, and you will make a difference in the success of SawStop!
As a member of the Advanced Development Team, you will be responsible for exploring new product & technology ideas and developing technology platforms that support the SawStop mission. You will identify and initiate investigations of production technologies, prototype and test solutions for product features, and design and validate production designs that deliver an exceptional user experience. Engineering principles and statistical processing tools are used to analyze the concept designs and progress toward proof-of-concept models.
Using both rapid prototyping and traditional fabrication techniques you will create functional prototypes to evaluate new concepts. You will work closely with cross functional team members, establish plans to complete work packages, develop and execute verification plans, and communicate results. Candidates must show a hands-on passion for their work and be able to communicate their ideas and concepts both verbally and visually.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Technology Development:
- Research and explore new ideas and concepts;
- Verify engineering principles behind technology;
- Develop technology platforms;
- Product Concept Development;
- Apply technology to next generation woodworking tools & accessories;
- Optimize Active Injury Mitigation technology to support future product roadmap;
- Develop product concepts / designs for project Board approval;
- Create 3D CAD models and prototypes for proof of concept designs;
- Translate Marketing requirements into Engineering specifications;
- Achieve technical maturity needed for handoff to Product Development;
- Verify product function;
- Assess boundary conditions of solutions;
- Clearly and effectively communicate to internal and external team members and stakeholders;
- Some international travel is required;
- Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar;
- demonstrated experience in product design;
- Demonstrated experience as a creative out of the box thinker who can quickly ideate and determine concept feasibility;
- Ability to think creatively to develop and implement ideas to solve complex problems;
- Experience designing for a variety of manufacturing processes and materials, for example injection molded plastic, sheetmetal stamping, die cast aluminum, cast iron, and machining;
- 3D CAD software experience;
- Statistical analysis software experience;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office tools (PowerPoint, Excel, Word, Outlook);
- Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate across functional groups and diverse audiences, while working in a dynamic team and project focused environment;
- Hands on practical skills - ability to use basic shop tools, equipment, and measurement tools to build and test mockups and prototypes;
- Proven ability to take a product concept from a sketch to a realized system;
- Bachelor or Master of Science degree in Mechatronics Engineering or similar;
- Proficiency with SolidWorks 3D CAD;
- Experience performing geometric dimensioning and tolerance stack up analysis;
- Green belt in DFLSS or other statistical processing techniques;
- Experience working with offshore manufacturing companies;
- Experience performing 3D CAD design simulation, i.e. Finite Element Analysis;
- Prototyping and machine tool operation experience (milling machine, lathe, drill press, welding).
COMPANY PROFILE: An Engaging Workplace
Headquartered in Tualatin, Oregon, SawStop is the #1 manufacturer of table saws for the commercial and hobbyist markets. Founded in Oregon, SawStop is part of the TTS Group, a 2,500+ employee family-owned company based in Germany with a focus on long-term growth.
SawStop provides a casual and engaging work environment. Our competitive benefits package includes full medical, dental and disability benefits, a generous PTO policy, and company matching 401k.
Please include cover letter and updated resume when applying.
ManufacturingView all jobs at Sawstop