Product Test Engineer
Want to apply your years of earned expertise in a meaningful way, developing new solutions in a fun, collaborative environment? Are you looking to join a fast-growing, stable company with highly unique products and a supportive company culture?
SawStop is the world leader in power tool safety, and we're looking for an experienced Product Test Engineer to join our team. Headquartered in Tualatin, Oregon, SawStop is the #1 manufacturer of table saws for the commercial and hobbyist markets, and our safety technology has saved thousands of users from devastating, life-changing table saw injuries. Founded in Oregon, SawStop is part of the TTS Group, a 2,500+ employee family-owned company based in Germany with a focus on long-term growth.
SawStop is looking to expand the application of our technologies into new power tools, in addition to improving existing product lines. The successful applicant will lead the validation and testing of our revolutionary products in an open and creative work environment where invention and dedication are both recognized and rewarded.
As a member of the Engineering Department, the Product Test Engineer is responsible for the development and execution of efficient and effective product qualification test plans, test procedures, and measurement systems. The Product Test Engineer leads the development of test platforms that assess the quality, reliability, and function of products, components, and systems at an appropriate level of confidence to represent the SawStop brand. The Product Test Engineer develops appropriate pass/fail criteria based on product specifications, document and standardize test procedures, and serves as a statistics expert in the department. The position involves proactive, professional communication and a high degree of collaboration and coordination across groups and reporting structures. Regular supervision is not required, although regular reporting to multiple stakeholders and proactive communication is essential for this role.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Define and document new test plans, fixtures, and procedures (both with and without automation) to improve confidence in new product launches and existing product improvements
- Develop pass/fail criteria, analyze data for statistical and practical relevance, and provide sound recommendations to engineers, project teams, and/or quality team on potential product or process improvement opportunities
- Evaluate external service providers and coordinate outside laboratory services when project test needs fall outside the scope of what can be accomplished with internal equipment or resources
- Develop business case justifications for shop process and/or equipment upgrades
- Provide input into the coordination of testing resources and material to ensure top priorities are addressed on schedule
- Mentor interns and technicians as needed
- Document test results into datasheets, test results summaries, charts, graphs, and formal test reports as requested and required
- Troubleshoot products under testing as necessary
- Handle multiple project requests at the same time
- Design and construct fixtures required to fixture, automate, or instrument tests using shop equipment such as vertical mill, lathe, horizontal and vertical bandsaw, plasma cutter, welder, handheld power tools, and various hand tools
- Design and validate measuring systems selected as a part of each test development
- Bachelor of Science degree in engineering or equivalent experience
- 2 years' experience in test engineering or defining and executing tests in another engineering role
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Broad hands-on expertise using lab equipment to perform mechanical and electrical tests
- Working knowledge with Labview or alternative graphical programming and/or instrumentation platform
- Practical working understanding of engineering specifications, mechanical drawings, electrical schematics, Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Practical working understanding of quality systems
- Green belt in DFLSS or equivalent practical applied statistical knowledge, especially MSA, Gauge R&R, and DOE
- High proficiency using Microsoft Office tools (PowerPoint, Excel, Word, Outlook)
- Must work locally in Tualatin office
- Master of Science degree in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, or mechatronics
- 5+ years of experience in a test engineering role
- Working knowledge of applicable product standards, for example UL, ANSI, ISO, IEC etc
- Experience developing HALT and/or HASS
- Current or past Oregon Professional Engineer License
- Manufacturing engineering or quality engineering perspective on relevant processes and materials, for example injection molded plastic, sheetmetal stamping, die cast aluminum, cast iron, and machining
- Working knowledge of SolidWorks 3D CAD and SolidWorks PDM
- Past experience creating engineering specifications, mechanical drawings, electrical schematics, and Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Black belt in DFLSS
SawStop is the world leader in power tool safety.
Headquartered in Tualatin, Oregon we design, engineer, and manufacture innovative power tools and accessories for the commercial and hobbyist woodworking markets. All SawStop power tools feature our patented safety technology that has saved tens of thousands of users from devastating, life-changing table saw injuries.
Our commitment to quality, innovation and safety over the past 20 years has made us the best in the industry. And our future looks just as bright as we accelerate our investments in new advancements in woodworking safety and performance. Redoubling our focus on product innovation and best-in-class quality to expand our product line and reach new markets means that we are growing fast and looking to expand and strengthen our dynamic team.
Learn more about why SawStop is a great place to work.
Our Team Members are what make SawStop special. That's why we're committed to taking care of our team through a comprehensive benefits program.
- Employee-Centered Medical Plan - 95% paid for the employee and eligible dependents
- Available Health Savings Plan
- 100% Paid Dental
- 100% Paid Vision
- Hybrid Work Schedule (Role-Dependent)
- Basic Life and AD&D Insurance
- Short Term and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program for Mental Health Services
- 401k Retirement Plans with Company Match
- Paid Time Off and Holidays
- Tutoring Support for Team Member's Kids (Grades K-12)
- Competitive Compensation Package
- Opportunities for Professional Development
Please include cover letter and updated resume when applying.
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.