Savannah Airport Commission Savannah, GA
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Under the general supervision of the Acting Director of Engineering, the Engineering Inspector shall perform duties such as: conducting on-site observations to monitor conformance with project contract documents; serving as the Savannah Airport Commission's liaison with project contractors; maintaining adequate records including daily project inspection reports and sets of drawings on which authorized changes are noted; reviewing contractors application for payment; conducting research; reading and/or interpreting maps, blueprints, survey documents or sketches; proofing or comparing the information contained on maps/drawings with information from different sources; measuring distances, areas, perimeters, and angles; using computer applications to enter, query, use, update and store information. Performs a wide variety of mapping, design and engineering support activities. Performs a wide variety of engineering related inspections including environmental, civil, and structural inspections. Responsible for coordinating, monitoring, and reporting daily construction activities. Construction activities to be monitored may include pavement construction, asphalt/PCC pavement, underground utilities (drainagel underdrain/ electrical/ fiber/ water/ sewer), excavation, embankment, and pavement markings. The Engineering Inspector must be familiar with FAA, GDOT, ICC, and MUTCD standards. This position is considered safety sensitive and/or requires access to the safety sensitive areas as required under FAA and DOT regulations.
Every employee of the Savannah Airport Commission plays a role in achieving our Vision of providing a safe, secure and efficient facility and providing air service that promotes the economic development of the airport and the region. Our job is to maintain the airfield as our top priority and ensure excellence in safety and airport security. All employees are expected to work hard to do everything in a first-class manner, offering the best customer service possible, treating our tenants as customers, and remaining aware of surroundings at all times to keep safety at the forefront.
Position Requirements & Qualifications:
- High school graduate or GED equivalent required.
- Associates Degree in Civil Engineering Technology with drafting, design, surveying, mapping, computer science, geography and information technology applications preferred.
- Three to five years' experience in water and sewer design, highway and heavy construction, surveying, and drafting.
- Knowledge of and/or background in aviation development and construction is preferred. . Should be well-versed in computations related to civil engineering, surveying, and drafting.
- Ability to read construction Plans and Specifications.
- Ability to calculate grades, establish benchmarks, compute acreage manually, and with the computer.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational, conflict resolution, problem solving, and record keeping skills.
- Advanced level Microsoft Suite user (Office, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) - Adobe PDF proficient - Ability to learn new software programs.
- Possession of a valid state issued driver's license.
- Ability to meet and maintain Transportation Security Administration requirements authorizing unescorted access entry to Security
- Identification Display Area (SIDA).
Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted or changed at any time at the discretion of supervisors, formally or informally, either verbally or in writing. Work schedules, to include rotating shifts, hours of work and days off may be changed at any time at the discretion of the supervisor. Regular and routine attendance at work is required.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
Inspections and Testing:
- Conducts field inspections to inspect standards of building structures and materials.
- Conducts and coordinates on-site field and laboratory testing on materials to measure compliance with specifications and regulations.
- Issues violation notices and stop-work orders where construction and materials do not comply with specifications or regulations.
- Refers deviations and disagreements to Acting Director of Engineering for clarification.
- Conducts inspections of existing structures before and after natural disasters, and other events that could compromise the integrity of existing structures.
Administrative and Assistance:
- Evaluates plans and specifications for construction projects to ensure conformance with specifications and regulations.
- Prepares construction specifications, doing quantity take-offs, preparing cost estimates.
- Maintains records of documentation to include daily project inspection reports.
- Assists Engineering staff and public with department related inquiries.
- Attends pre-construction meetings where necessary.
- Assist with project close-out documentation.
- Attends close-out meetings of construction projects.
- Maintains adequate records of measured quantities and labor hours to cross-reference on pay applications.
- Performs calculations (e.g., area, distance, perimeter, etc.) using appropriate technical device.
- Coordinates with Maintenance Department on building, drainage, water, and sewer system problems.
- Must be able to interpret and plot latitude and longitude points on designated charts and maps.
- Checks plans and drawings to ensure that established Savannah Airport Commission guidelines are followed by tenants with regard to minimum space requirements, building setback, advertising and dimensions of base area.
- May perform amateur photography.
Traits & Distinguishing Characteristics:
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to work well with team.
- Ability to solve problems using sound professional judgement, creativity, and innovation.
- Must be able to correspond with architects and engineers, both in writing and orally.
- Should have the ability to learn and comprehend FAA AC 150/5300-13A
- (Design), and AC 150/5370-10H (Construction Standards for Airports).
- Must be able to obtain their AOA "Green Stripe" certification.
- Considerable ability to determine types of materials required to perform assigned tasks and to accomplish assigned duties in a skilled fashion requiring minimal supervision.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions and regulations furnished in written, oral, or diagrammatic form.
- Ability to carry out and relay detailed oral and written instruction.
- Demonstrated ability to provide written/verbal solutions to problems required.
- Ability to work without direct supervision as assigned.
- Must have proficient knowledge of fall protection and work-zone safety.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to climb, crawl, bend, stoop and stretch.
- Ability to read and comprehend plans.
- Ability to drive an electrical service vehicle.
- Ability to operate a two-way radio.
- Ability to perform the required activities and to handle the required materials and equipment.
- Ability to lift 35 pounds.
- A hearing ability to detect noises, sirens, and emergency or other radio transmissions is necessary along with vision ability of 20/20 with corrected lens.
- Ability to work in confined spaces.
- Ability to work in inclement weather.
- Ability to work shifts and over weekends.
Savannah Airport Commission
ConstructionView all jobs at Savannah Airport Commission