To Apply: Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Our after school program "Toyology: Science Through Toys" is seeking dedicated and creative part-time teachers and assistants to facilitate STEM-based learning in local elementary schools throughout the Bay Area. Our staff have the opportunity to work with 50+ elementary schools across the Bay Area from Walnut Creek to San Francisco. This job is a perfect opportunity for college students, teachers in training programs, retired teachers, and individuals who love working with children.
- Manage a class of 15-25 students along with an assistant
- Attend an hour long weekly training and supply pick-up at our office in Castro Valley
- Teach science concepts from a lesson plan
- Instruct children how to build projects from step-by-step instructions
- Conduct roll call and sign students in and out of the class
- Interact with parents, teachers, and school staff
- Set up and clean up the classroom
- Transport all materials to and from class
- Conduct roll call and sign students in and out of class
- Assist the teacher with the lesson and project of the day
- Prep and pass out project materials
- Help children put together science projects
- Set up and clean up the classroom
Multiple public and private elementary schools located throughout the Bay Area. We make every effort to only assign schools that are within what you determine to be a reasonable commuting distance.Currently, programs are located in San Francisco, Alameda, Berkeley, Richmond, Oakland, Piedmont, Castro Valley, Union City, Lafayette, Moraga, Orinda, Danville, San Ramon, Walnut Creek, Pleasant Hill, Martinez, and more.
- Our staff work at the same time/days of the week from week to week over a three month period. Five classes a week, or one class per day from Monday to Friday, is the maximum class schedule for our staff
- Classes are an hour in length, with fifteen minutes of prep and fifteen minutes of cleanup. In total, our staff works for an hour and a half for each day that they are on the schedule
- Start times for classes can vary anywhere between 1PM and 4PM, depending on the school
- Must drive and have a reliable vehicle
- Teachers must be willing to pick-up, drop-off, and transport supplies in their vehicle
- Must have prior experience working with children
- Background in education and prior experience teaching is a plus
- Demonstrated leadership qualities and experience managing a classroom
- Must be organized, detail-oriented, energetic and flexible
- Able to communicate, multi-task and resolve issues and challenges creatively
Toyologists learn on the job classroom management skills, and practice the Sarah’s Science approach of positive reinforcement to teaching and interacting with children. We foster an inclusive and inviting learning environment by ensuring that every student builds a working toy based on our science lesson during every class.Those who wish to join our team must have demonstrated leadership/teaching experience, excellent communication skills, and a positive and energetic attitude. Experience working with children is a must. Upon being hired, you must be willing to pay for and obtain Live Scan clearances (fingerprinting background checks) and receive a negative TB-Test result - both of which are eligible for reimbursement after the completion of a full session.
Founded in 1987 by Sarah Shaffer, Sarah's Science is a women owned, community oriented science education company. Our mission is to provide kids aged 5-15 with a unique approach to learning about the wonderful world of science and nature. Ultimately, we believe that we can inspire our youth by showing them that learning can be fun and rewarding.
We offer outdoor summer day camps in Oakland and Berkeley, after school classes during the school year, day camps during school breaks, as well as evening and weekend workshops throughout the Bay Area.