An exciting new leadership opportunity in Skilled Nursing is now available. The San Mateo Medical Center is seeking an Assistant Medical Director of Skilled Nursing. Come join this engaged group of leaders in the daily operational and strategic work related to the Skilled Nursing Unit at San Mateo Medical Center.
The Assistant Medical Director assists in planning, organizing, directing and administering multiple complex components of San Mateo Medical Center’s Skilled Nursing Unit and serves as the physician leader for the this Unit and within the organization; assists in recommending, developing, implementing and evaluating goals, objectives, policies, and procedures to these operations; assists in the overall management of division or unit to which assigned; and provides highly complex staff assistance to higher level management.
- Serve as a physician leader within the Skilled Nursing Unit and the organization as a whole.
- Support the overall management of the unit in conjunction with the Nurse Manager.
- Develop skilled nursing standards of care.
- Clinically direct and manage physicians, medical, nursing and professional staff.
- Develop, implement and evaluate long term care goals, objectives, policies and procedures.
- Implement countermeasures within the unit related to incident reports, identified hazards, and root cause analyses.
- Ensure readiness for California Department of Public Health and Medicare surveys and audits.
- Provide direct patient care.
The Assistant Medical Director receives general direction from higher level management. Exercises direct and indirect supervision over all levels of medical/professional, technical, and support staff of the Skilled Nursing Unit.
The ideal candidate has at least three years of leadership experience, including experience creating and leading teams; experience in leading improvement work, including prior quality improvement work using PDSA or Lean methodologies; and experience with coaching and program development through support of managers and physician leaders. They are energized by working in an environment focused on daily improvement and aim to lead the way in creating standard processes to improve patient experience and quality outcomes. The Assistant Medical Director will aid in all program development, quality improvement efforts and support the Physicians of our Skilled Nursing Unit. San Mateo Medical Center is building toward value-based care focused on care delivery and outcomes for the entire population of patients we are dedicated to serving. We value safety, quality and respect for every member of our teams and believe that through high functioning care teams we can continue to support our community and deliver excellent care.
About San Mateo Medical Center
San Mateo Medical Center (SMMC), located in the San Francisco Bay Area, is a public hospital and clinic system operating outpatient clinics throughout San Mateo County, and an acute-care hospital in San Mateo. SMMC is part of San Mateo County Health. The San Mateo Medical Center is committed to providing quality medical care to meet the health needs of our diverse patient community. Our commitment is to provide quality care with a compassionate touch, and we strive to help you maintain a balance between work and family. SMMC has been providing healthcare to our community and surrounding service area since 1930. It is committed to developing leadership across the organization and creating a culture of continuous process improvement using lean management and process improvement philosophy.
$201,302.40 - $251,596.80 Annually
The position offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package which includes County funded malpractice insurance, retirement plans and health benefits for retirees, an additional 5% increase in salary for each qualifying Board certification up to two (2) Boards, administrative leave time at 5 hours per pay period up to 260 hours (this is prorated for part time employees) that can be cashed out up to 50% each Spring, and a wellness program, including exercise classes, worksite massage, and an onsite gym.
NOTE: The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future extra-help, term, unclassified, and regular classified vacancies.
Examples Of Duties
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Participate in the overall management of division and inter-division issues.
- Assist the Nurse Manager in managing the delivery of services.
- Oversee the development of standards of care for assigned area.
- Recommend, develop, implement and evaluate goals, objectives, policies, and procedures related to area of assignment.
- Ensure program meets its overall goals in the areas of quality and safety, patient experience, staff experience and financial stewardship, as well as compliance with health care best practice.
- Provide surveillance and planning for improvement of medical care.
- Serve as a liaison between administration and other physicians.
- Close collaboration with Nursing Administration regarding patient care.
- Arrange emergency coverage, procedures for emergency treatment, and transfer procedures for patients within your unit.
- Serve as a member of the San Mateo Medical Center medical staff and ensure adherence to the medical staff by-laws, rules and regulations.
- Assist in monitoring, evaluating, and reporting on the quality and appropriateness of assigned program.
- Assist in selecting, and in reviewing the performance of and initiating corrective action as need for assigned medical professional, and/or technical and support staff.
- Review and evaluate administrative and patient care policies and procedures.
- Participate in in-service training programs.
- Provide expert consultation and information to administration regarding assigned program’s ability to meet the psychosocial, medical and physical needs of patients and their families.
- Assist in the review and evaluation of incident reports, identification of hazards and root cause analysis, with local changes and improvements made whenever possible.
- Train and supervise interns and residents, when applicable.
- Orient consulting physicians in protocols and procedures.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
License to practice medicine in the State of California.
Education and Experience:
Completion of a residency program and Board Certification or eligibility for certification is required and one year of supervisory experience.
IMPORTANT: Applications for this position will only be accepted online. If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the "Apply" button above or below. If you are not on the County's website, please go to https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/sanmateo/jobs/2814720/assistant-medical-director-skilled-nursing-open-and-promotional to apply.
This is a continuous recruitment which may close at any time. The final filing date will be posted 5 days in advance in the San Mateo County Human Resources Department.
Apply immediately. This is a continuous recruitment and is open until filled. Selections may be made at any time within the process.
At the County of San Mateo, we take pride in the way our employees bring together their diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to serve our community's needs. The County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
San Mateo County government is committed to:
The highest standards of public service;
A common vision of responsiveness;
The highest standards of ethical conduct;
Treating people with respect and dignity.
San Mateo County Health
Why Work Here?San Mateo County government protects and enhances the health, safety, welfare, and natural resources of the community; and provides quality services that benefit and enrich the lives of the people of this community. San Mateo County government is committed to: The highest standards of public service; A common vision of responsiveness; The highest standards of ethical conduct; Treating people with respect and dignity.
San Mateo County Health is an innovative, collaborative, mission-driven system of care!
San Mateo County, CA