Under the direction of the Sous Chef while working closely with the Chef De Cuisine and/or Executive Chef, the Junior Chef supports culinary management staff and hourly staff in daily overall kitchen operations for specific venue. Adhering to the Health department regulations and SMC standards and expectations of food service and quality, freshness and presentation, the Junior Chef will assist culinary management with overseeing the culinary operations to include menu concepts and recipe standardization.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Maintains and ensures that recipes, flavor profiles, consistency in quality, appearance and production time frames are adhered to for all menu/food items being produced and that all food items needed for production are available to staff.
- Ensures that all logs, requisitions and any other necessary paperwork is filled out and submitted in the proper form and time frame.
- Controls all purchasing of food products and kitchen equipment.
- Understands menu development techniques and development of recipes, plating guides and menu cards.
- The individual in this role is responsible for food preparation, storing, and service delivery to customers in their establishment.
- Assist with food inventory tracking such as quantity of supplies ordered and estimated time of shipment arrivals. Together with the senior kitchen staff, Junior Chefs are in charge of such logistics.
- Assist in developing strategy for cross-marketing with the aim of increasing profit, which could include pairing drinks with the food served.
- Responsible for cleanliness, organization and preparedness of immediate work space and adjacent areas,
- Brief and communicate with the on-coming and out-going shifts and relay information to co-workers.
- Assist with special projects as directed by the Supervisor including but not limited to: monthly meetings, deli assistance, special banquets, concerts and special guests.
- Delegate tasks to Cooks and/or other kitchen staff for effectiveness in delivery.
- Ensures safe working conditions are in place at all times for kitchen and food service staff; investigates and reports all employee injuries or accidents according to policy.
- Monitors all kitchen areas to ensure Health Department, Gaming, Casino, IHS, FDA, and OSHA codes & policies are followed at all times; Reports any violation(s) of codes and policies immediately upon discovery; Participates in all Gaming, IHS and all other inspections.
- Maintains acceptable attendance record and arrives in designated kitchen at scheduled time, in proper uniform and ready to work.
- Perform other duties as assigned to support the efficient operation of the department.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Vocational/Technical/Business certification in related field preferred.
- Minimum four (4) years’ experience of large hotel or similar Casino type operation which includes high volume production, catering and multi-unit aspects as well as larger staff management as a Lead Cook level or above required.
- Possess advanced knowledge of single unit culinary operations.
- Ability to handle high volume a la carte kitchen cooking, high volume catering/banquet production and expediting of food during peak periods of business in all stated areas.
- Possess advanced skill level in hands–on training of staff.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word and Excel) is required.
- Demonstrates knowledge of food preparation and presentation.
- Capable of following procedures and taking direction.
- Possesses the ability to read recipes, production lists and any other necessary collateral paperwork, such as diagrams and logs, to be able to perform necessary duties.
- Must have good basic mathematical, organizational and communication skills.
- Must be an exemplary employee and display the ability to work well with others.
- Clean and proper work attire in accordance with company policy.
- Must be reliable, pleasant and possess a good attitude.
- Be able to provide good service during challenging situations.
- Able to cope in potentially stressful situations.
- At the discretion of the San Manuel Tribal Gaming Commission you may be required to obtain and maintain a gaming license.
- Must obtain and maintain a ServSafe certification within 90 days of employment.
San Manuel Band of Mission Indians and San Manuel Casino will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
As one of the largest private employers in the Inland Empire, San Manuel deeply cares about the future, growth and well-being of its employees. Join our team today!