San Francisco’s award-winning cultural, literary and alternative weekly publication is seeking a staff writer with a wide range of storytelling experience, versatility and expertise to provide compelling coverage of the cultural fabric of San Francisco and the many issues confronting the city as it undergoes tremendous upheaval and transformation.
This is an opportunity for a journalist to join a fast-paced, creative and fun work environment located in the heart of San Francisco.
- Working with the SF Weekly Editor, produce compelling, in-depth cover stories and other content for the digital and print platforms of SF Weekly.
- Contribute content to SF Evergreen, a monthly publication covering the cannabis industry.
- Provide a steady stream of stories and creative ideas to special sections covering arts, music, food, neighborhoods, legacy businesses and more.
- Collaborate with the rest of the team, including other writers, the art director and in-house photographer in executing stories, projects, multimedia work, and social media coverage.
- Contribute ideas and posts to the publications’ robust social media presence, including Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
- Contribute ideas to SF Weekly’s many digital email newsletters
- Develop relationships with those who know the cultural scene of San Francisco, the cannabis industry and more
- Collaborate with editors and writers of other San Francisco Media Co. publications
The ideal candidate must be a versatile writer who demonstrates exceptional skills in narrative storytelling and must have experience in filing stories on deadline. An ideal candidate will have experience and comfort writing about arts and culture in San Francisco while being able to report on other beats as the need arises. This is a position that will afford a great deal of freedom and opportunity but it carries a challenging workload and requires adaptability.
Preference will be given to candidates who are social media savvy and have a deep grasp of San Francisco’s many facets. Familiarity with coverage of the cannabis industry is a plus, along with editing, SEO experience, photography and video skills.
The candidate must have a sense of humor and work well with others.
Experience with, or willingness to learn, InDesign, SEO, analytics, Photoshop, and Wordpress is a must as is a willingness to learn a new content management system.