The San Francisco Department of Elections is seeking an Bilingual Proofreader and Phone Operator to join our team. As a Bilingual Proofreader and Phone Operator, you'll be assisting with translating, proofreading and audio proofing official election materials and providing election information to the public over the phone and via email.
- Translating materials for use by the public
- Extensive proofreading (words, numbers, and format)
- Comparing vendor translations to English text and preferred Chinese terminology, suggesting revisions only as needed
- Creating candidate lists with accurate content and formatting
- Maintaining organized paper and electronic document files
Initially, the responsibilities of this position will include translation and proofreading of forms, website content, and voter outreach materials. Additionally, the person in this position will perform maintenance of voter registration data, including inputting information submitted by the voters in the Department’s registration database.
As the November 5, 2019, election approaches, the person in this position will assist with compiling, proofing, and producing the following:
- All versions of the official ballot, in paper, touchscreen and audio formats, in English and Chinese
- The Voter Information Pamphlet in English and Chinese
After completion of the projects above, this position will transition to provide support in English and Chinese to members of the public who call or email for election information.
This position requires sitting and standing for prolonged periods, being able to multitask between phone and computer, and lifting and moving up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to work quickly and accurately to complete tasks within tight deadlines
- Ability to work as part of a team in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Willingness to follow instructions and maintain strict version control
- Flexibility, tolerance, and stamina for tedious tasks and occasional long hours
- Computer skills, including MS Word, MS Excel, Adobe Acrobat, and Internet research in English and Chinese are highly desired
- Experience with databases, data entry and processing
- Verifiable professional experience or university-level coursework in written translation from English to Chinese, as well as professional or university-level writing in English
- General knowledge of San Francisco neighborhoods and districts