Circulation Clerk Lead
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
The Clerk Lead position at Salina Public Library provides high-quality, friendly and professional services. In this position, staff assists patrons with a variety of needs, as well as directs staff while working on shift. This position fulfills duties of a clerk and supports the Department Head of Circulation by ensuring effective department operations, especially during the absence of the Department Head. This requires an individual who is customer service oriented, who will actively strive to develop positive, ongoing relationships with patrons and staff while identifying opportunities to market library services and actively promote library programs. To be a part of our library team, a positive attitude, flexibility and willingness to work well with everyone is required.
Reports To: Head of Circulation
Hours/Schedule: Full Time – 40 hours per week
Tuesday 10 a.m.-7 p.m.
Wednesday & Thursday 11:30 a.m.-8:30 p.m.
Friday & Saturday 8 a.m.-5 p.m. or 9 a.m.-6 p.m.
Above is an anticipated schedule. This is subject to change based upon service levels. Regular weekly schedule is adjusted to compensate for working a weekend. Schedules are adjusted as needed for the Library.
This is a permanent position.
Starting Pay: $16/hour; $33,280/annually
Full Pay Range: $16-$18.50/hour; $33,280-$38,480/annually
- 40 hours paid time off after 6 months of service; 80 hours (2 weeks) after 1 year; 120 hours (3 weeks) after 5 years; 160 hours (4 weeks) after 10 years
- 16 hours (2 days) personal time after 1 year
- 10.5 paid holidays a year and 2 floating holidays
- sick leave, 8 hours accrued a month for full-time staff
- health, dental & vision insurance with pre-tax premiums, 75% paid by the library
- KPERS retirement plan
- paid webinars, workshops and more
- wage level system with set performance-based increases
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Associates degree and/or certification preferred.
- Customer service experience preferred.
- Library experience preferred, but not required.
Supervisory Experience: Preferred, but not required.
Duties & Responsibilities
The Clerk Lead must…
- Inspect, sort, clean, repair, and check-in materials that are returned to the library.
- Locate and retrieve materials from several locations throughout the library.
- Return items to their proper locations, as well as straighten and shelf read in the stacks.
- Monitor self-check stations and check out materials.
- Issue library cards, answer a variety of account-related questions and provide education.
- Collect payments, make correct change and perform drawer reconciliation.
- Operate a multi-line phone system.
- Utilize and navigate the Library Catalog and other Library software.
- Generate reports, collect data and other general office duties.
- Pick up library book-drop materials from on and off-site locations.
- Complete various opening and closing tasks.
- Training newly hired staff on all aspects of the clerk duties.
- Help to train and/or keep current staff up to date on organizational/departmental priorities and initiatives.
- Stay abreast of policy/procedure changes. Ensure policies and procedures are being appropriately followed and provide feedback to staff as needed.
- With budget guidelines from the Circulation Department Head, track, order and maintain supplies for the department.
- Aid the circulation department head with the tracking of and conducting machine maintenance.
- Monitor stack genre levels to ensure proper rotation and distribution of materials.
- Assist in the account weeding process.
- Appropriately delegate tasks to staff and follow up on completion.
- Meet monthly with the circulation department head to discuss any issues and possible plans of action.
- Participate in and contribute to the planning and development of the department.
- Develop and complete a yearly work plan with the department head.
- Support the library’s mission and provide exceptional customer service, whether to patrons or co-workers.
- Under general guidance, can work honestly and independently.
- Be reliable. Work scheduled hours, show up ready to work on time and use breaks appropriately.
- Maintain a general knowledge of programs and services offered by the wider library.
- Communicate clearly, accurately and promptly with a diverse set of patrons and co-workers.
- Be willing to help in any area of the library as needed.
- Be able to enforce library policy and follow procedure in a variety of situations, including high-stress or confrontational interactions.
- Prepare for and participate in staff and project team meetings.
- Help to maintain organized and tidy library spaces.
- Demonstrate professional behavior and comply with library policies and procedures, including adhering to library dress code.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Pre-employment drug screen. (post-employment drug screen may also take place)
- Pre-employment background check.
- Basic keyboarding skills.
- The ability to work with a variety of technology equipment and applications including, but not limited to, word documents, spreadsheets, internet browsers, email, and Google Drive.
Physical Demands / Work Environment
- Light to moderate physical work
- Lifting, carrying, and pushing up to 40 pounds with or without assistance.
- Frequent lifting, carrying, standing, walking, bending, climbing stairs, twisting, reaching, pulling, and pushing.
- Speech and hearing abilities to maintain communication with patrons and co-workers.
- Vision to read and interpret reports, written documents, and electronic communications.
- Work is primarily indoors, with some outdoor work for book drop pickups and other Library event assistance.
*The above position information is intended to describe the duties of an employee in general terms and does not necessarily describe all of his/her duties or responsibilities.
How to Apply
Complete the online application. Attach your resume.
A quick video introduction of yourself with an explanation of why you would like to work at Salina Public Library is also appreciated but not required. This can be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have additional questions, please contact Allyson Ronning, Head of Circulation, email@example.com or 785-825-4624 x221
The position is open until filled.
Salina Public Library
Get fresh Library Circulation Clerk jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.