Salesian Missions, a faith-based organization that educates and supports vulnerable youth in developing countries, is hiring a Grants Accountant (GA) to work under the direct supervision of the Accounting Supervisor with Program Direction provided by Mission Office Controller.
The GA (a) supports all Mission Office accounting functions, (b) provides grants accounting support to the Office for International Programs-funded (SMOIP) projects, and (c) assists in building institutional capacity in the area of financial management and internal controls to Salesian partners abroad, as required.
Overseas and domestic travel to provide support in building institutional capacity in the area of financial management and internal controls to Salesian missions abroad may be required.
- Code invoices to perspective grants;
- Process wire requests to overseas Salesian missions;
- Make entries to grant programs/projects upon confirmation;
- File SF 425 cash reports to U.S. Government (USG) agencies on a quarterly basis and in a timely manner;
- Assist in the preparation of quarterly SF 425 financial reports to USG; e.g. reconciliation of funds disbursed compared to expenses from country and review all accounting documents from overseas partners: bank reconciliations, financial statements to make sure numbers match the SF 425 filed with the USG;
- Review quarterly financial statements from the overseas partners compared to budget and prepare reconciliations and make presentations of these comparisons to SMOIP’s Supervisor and Staff;
- Record monthly accruals of the HQ’s portion of each applicable grant to match the approved budget;
- Reconcile cash overseas accounts related to grants monthly or quarterly at the latest; and
- Review financial and internal controls of new grantees overseas, identify gaps in the systems needed to meet the reporting USG accounting and internal control standards and follow up with a plan to effectively address such gaps, including training of accountants overseas.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting;
- Experience using MIPS accounting software;
- Strong working knowledge of USG grant regulations;
- Experience with foundation-funded projects (or similar);
- At least 2 years spent working in a program position for donor-funded development programming;
- Strong cross-cultural skills and the ability to work collaboratively with partners in other countries;
- Demonstrated strong analytical, quantitative, and English writing skills;
- Demonstrated ability to provide technical and program leadership with strong interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills;
- Prior NGO experience required;
- Computer literate, including operating skills necessary for development and preparation of spreadsheets, correspondence, inventory tracking and research;
- Creativity, organization skills and attention to details with an emphasis on following tasks to completion;
- Bilingual skills preferred, especially Spanish, French, or Arabic;
- Ability to represent Salesian Missions Inc. to diverse audiences;
- Working experience for a faith-based organization preferred;
Interested candidates should send their application letter, salary expectations and a CV to email@example.com. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for follow up interview.