Finance Officer / Bookkeeper
Saint John Paul II Parish Idaho Falls, ID
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Vision: The Finance Officer provides key financial management, accounting, bookkeeping and recordkeeping support for the financial aspects of the parish, and thus assists in furthering the ministry of the Diocese of Boise in the St. John Paul II Catholic Parish setting.
Definition: This position provides key financial management and recordkeeping support of the Parish, School and Missions to the Pastor, and the Parish Finance Council in accordance with diocesan financial policy and procedures.
Primary function: The primary function of this position is to serve as a skilled resource and aide to the Parish office by providing necessary financial management and recordkeeping services to the Pastor, and Finance Council, and to those who seek assistance from the office. The Finance Officer, Facilities Manager, Pastor, and Finance Council work collaboratively to provide the Parish with accountability and transparency.
Education and Experience:
• High school diploma. Associates or Bachelors degree in Accounting, Business Management, Finance, or related field desired.
• Additional education including post-secondary education in using personal computers to track financial information desirable.
• Three to five years successful experience in bookkeeping positions, in a bilingual environment preferred.
• Familiarity with parish life or pastoral issues preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Proven knowledge and practice of bookkeeping skills.
• Knowledge of Power-Church and/or other related accounting programs, preferred.
• Demonstrated skill in communicating.
• Demonstrated skill in using computers to track financial information.
• Demonstrated organizational skill.
• Ability to meet deadlines.
• Demonstrated interpersonal, oral and written communications skills in English and Spanish desired.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Must be an active participant in the work of the Catholic Church. A baptized and confirmed Catholic, and able to partake in the full sacramental life of the Church.
• Understanding of the Catholic Church and its teachings.
• Recognized as organized, hard-working, responsible, and careful.
• Demonstrated commitment to ongoing formation, education, personal, and professional growth.
• Demonstrated ease in dealing with people, problems and crises; excellent interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrated emotional stability and self-confidence. • Experiences with people must demonstrate cooperation, compassion, and caring.
• Recognized as imaginative, open, curious, creative, and intelligent.
• Able to keep conversations and information confidential.
• Aware of and sensitive to a multi-cultural environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Have knowledge of and follow Diocesan financial policies and procedures.
• Abide by all Diocesan guidelines and policies. • Submission of all necessary information concerning parish operation to Diocesan offices upon request.
• Work with the Pastor and the Parish Office and Operations Manager to maintain appropriate and accurate financial records with supporting documentation.
• Provide parishioners with accurate financial information as requested.
• Provide parishioners and other entities with annual financial reports or statements of their contributions or donations to the Parish.
• Work with the Pastor to develop and monitor a strong system of internal controls for Parish receipts.
• Work with the Pastor to establish security procedures to ensure the safety of Parish funds.
• Review all invoices with appropriate personnel prior to payment for reasonableness and accuracy and indicate approval for payment.
• Follow the system of internal control for handling of monies as dictated by Pastor, Finance Council, and Parish auditors.
• Work collaboratively with the Parish Office and Operations Manager to resolve any invoice issues when reasonableness and accuracy are in question.
• Monitor and reconcile parish bank accounts and statements.
• Upon approval of Pastor, solicit from the Diocese the transferring of monies from one account to another.
• Monitor cash balances in order to maximize earned interest.
• Schedule vendor payments to obtain purchase discounts. Budgeting
• Collect and gather from employees and ministries their proposed budget in order to prepare the annual budget.
• Initiate the process of preparing the annual budget for the Parish, School, and Missions.
• Submit the annual budgets for review by the Finance Council, and for the review and approval by the Pastor.
• Submit approved annual budgets of the Parish, School, and Missions to the Diocese on a timely basis.
• Review and analyze the financial reports by comparing the actual receipts and expenditures with the approved budget on a monthly basis and advise the Pastor and Finance Council of significant variances.
• Supervise volunteers who sort, count, and prepare the weekly deposits.
• Code income and other collections correctly into automated accounting system.
• Book all invoices and prepare all checks in a timely manner to avoid interest or penalties, for signature from the Pastor.
• Prepare and present financial statements on a monthly basis, along with budget reports and bank reconciliation of all cash accounts.
• Prepare and submit payroll to the Diocese, including weekly and monthly time cards.
• Responsible for accounts payable and receivable.
• Prepare bank deposits and record receipts.
• Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual reports as requested by the Pastor, and/or Finance Council.
• Receive, record, and acknowledge all gifts to the Parish including financial contributions, memorial gifts, and non-monetary contributions.
• Prepare and mail year-end giving statements to donors and stewardship reports.
• Ensure that all checks written have appropriate back up receipts.
• Receive and record payments and deposits from Holy Rosary School.
• Assist with bulk mailings and similar communication functions.
• Run errands for needs of office where necessary.
• Assist with other Parish office duties as needed.
• Attend the meetings of the Parish Finance Council and assist the Parish Office and Operations Manager with all presentations and/or information.
• Provide reports verbally and in written form as determined by the Pastor or the Finance Council.
• Attend other meetings as requested by the Pastor.
• Meet all Diocesan reporting deadlines.
• Maintain high standards of ethical behavior and confidentiality.
• Have regular and predictable attendance at the Parish office.
• Assist with any other needs as assigned by Pastor or requested by other staff and Finance Council.
• Attend meetings, and provide oversight for parish and school building projects and renovations.
• Perform all other duties as assigned by the Pastor.
Saint John Paul II Parish
145 9th StreetIdaho Falls, ID
Finance and InsuranceView all jobs at Saint John Paul II Parish