Chief Executive Officer - Make-A-Wish Central & South Texas
- Posted: over a month ago
About Make-A-Wish® Central & South Texas
For children diagnosed with critical illnesses, a wish come true can be a crucial turning point in their lives. A wish can be that spark that helps these children believe that anything is possible and gives them the strength to fight harder against their illnesses. This impact is why Make-A-Wish Central & South Texas is driven to make every one of these wishes come true.
The inspiration and vision for Make-A-Wish began in Phoenix Arizona in 1980 when a community came together for Christopher James Greicius, a 7-year-old boy battling leukemia, whose wish was to be a police officer. Receiving a custom-tailored uniform, a motorcycle helmet, and his very own battery-operated motorbike, the magic of that one wish created a movement. Today, Make-A-Wish has granted hundreds of thousands of life-changing wishes to children with critical illnesses across the U.S. and its territories.
Make-A-Wish Central & South Texas carries out its impactful work with a dedicated staff of 14. The Chapter partners with over 100 community volunteers to deliver its programs and is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors. Annually, the chapter grants approximately 300 wishes across its territory.
The Central & South Texas chapter of Make-A-Wish, one of the nation’s most recognized nonprofits seeks a dynamic and inspiring Chief Executive Officer (CEO) to successfully guide the Chapter into the future. With a dedicated staff, a strong board, and an engaged volunteer force, the selected candidate will be well-positioned to make a significant mission impact. This is an ideal position for a highly relational, empathetic, and mission-driven leader with a track record of achievement and results.
The relevant experience and skills to effectively carry out the key accountabilities of the position include Strategic Vision & Execution, Organizational Leadership, Fundraising & Development, Brand Advancement & Relationship Skills, Mission Delivery & Non-Profit DNA, Board Engagement & Effectiveness, and Financial & Operational Oversight.
Strategic Vision and Execution
Ensure the creation and execution of a clear and actionable strategy to make significant and measurable progress toward achieving the Chapter’s vision while exploring new and innovative solutions to effectively meet the growing demand for wish experiences.
Fundraising and Development
Support the creation and execution of the development plan to increase revenue through enhanced relationships with donors, corporate sponsors, funders, and community partners.
Brand Advancement and Relationship Skills
Increase brand awareness, engagement, and collaboration through effective messaging, intentional community outreach, relationship-building, partnership collaboration, and purposeful calls to action.
Mission Delivery & Non-Profit DNA
Inspire staff, volunteers, and donors by authentically embodying the mission and ethos of the organization.
Board Engagement and Effectiveness
Recruit, retain, and engage a diverse and effective Board of Directors and Regional Council, optimally leverage their strengths to advance the mission, and provide the tools and transparency necessary for effective governance of the organization.
Financial and Operational Oversight
Ensure the organization has the proper financial oversight, internal controls, forecasting, and transparent reporting to maintain/improve the fiscal health of the Chapter.
Key Qualifications and Attributes
The Board of Directors sees the ideal candidate for the position matching as many aspects as possible in the bullets below:
- Passion for and commitment to Make-A-Wish Central & South Texas mission
- Executive or management experience at a respected nonprofit or public institution, or significant nonprofit experience developed through voluntary service in the sector. (While previous nonprofit CEO experience is highly desirable, individuals with a strong record of performance are encouraged to apply.)
- Demonstrated results in major gift cultivation and solicitation and working knowledge of fundraising principles as they impact an organization
- Exceptional leadership and communication skills, including a proven track record in leading and growing organizations
- Has worked closely and positively with governing/fundraising boards and effectively developed and strengthened those boards
- Is a consensus builder, team builder, and a coach when working with staff and volunteers
- Attracts and retains top talent and builds strong and enduring relationships
- Possesses working knowledge of the legal, fiscal, and regulatory environment in which a nonprofit operates
- Strong business and budget management skills
- Strategic thinker who can also plan and execute short-term objectives in pursuit of a long-term vision and create action plans that yield results
- Has personal ethics and integrity that reflect positively on the mission and the organization; is a passionate and convincing champion for the mission; and is involved and respected in the community
- Is able to work collegially within the federated model of Make-A-Wish America
- Committed to championing diversity, equity and inclusion, fostering an organization that is accessible and welcoming
- Relationships and knowledge of communities across the region is strongly preferred
- Bachelor’s degree required, with an advanced degree preferred
Application and Selection Process
- Upload your resume and cover letter.
A Sagency Search Consultant will schedule a 60-minute interview with specific candidates.
After this initial interview process with Sagency, qualified candidates may be asked to complete an online assessment prior to scheduling an interview with the search committee.
Make-A-Wish Central & South Texas Interview
First round interviews with Make-A-Wish Central & South Texas search committee.
Thank you for your interest in this position.
HealthcareView all jobs at Sagency