The Mechanical Engineer supports the ongoing development of the company core product line consisting of generators, power converters and electronic controls systems for aerospace and commercial applications. The individual is responsible for coordinating all technical activities, deliverable and engineering actions relating to product mechanical design. The Mechanical Engineer will be expected to take direction from the Mechanical Engineering Manager, apply initiative where appropriate and have the ability to effectively communicate with the individuals working in support of development efforts.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Develops 3D models utilizing SolidWorks software.
2. Creates Drawings and has a solid proficiency with MIL-STD-100G/ASME Y14.100 Standard Practice for Engineering.
3. Design activities include packaging for electronic assemblies and rotating machines.
4. Performs structural and thermal analysis to optimize product and establish design margins.
5. Presents designs to internal audit team.
6. Interfaces with supplier base and understands capabilities of the supplier base.
7. Prepares and participates in internal design reviews and customer reviews, such as PDR, CDR.
8. Supports lab activities which include design verification and qualification activities.
9. Shows familiarity/application knowledge with MIL-STD-810 and DO-160 environmental procedures.
10. Works with cross functional teams to establish production methods and quality requirements.
11. Provides engineering support, as necessary, to support the in-house production effort.
12. Investigates equipment failures and implements corrective actions.
13. Follows and maintains engineering processes and standards; assures that designs are in accordance with accepted design consideration criteria.
14. Able to multi-task, prioritize and problem-solve in as fast-paced working environment with minimal guidance.
To accomplish this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups and/or boards of directors.
Ability to comprehend and apply principles of advanced calculus, modern algebra, and advanced statistical theory. Ability to work with concepts such as limits, rings, quadratic and differential equations, and proofs of theorems.
Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems. Ability to deal with nonverbal symbolism (formulas, scientific equations, graphs, musical notes, etc.) in its most difficult phases. Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variable.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree (BS) in Mechanical Engineering. Master degree or higher is preferred. Minimum three to five years related job experience. Experience in aerospace or related industry is preferred; background in other industry segments will be considered upon reviewing the product and skill set. Experience in project management is a plus.