The Buyer Meat, Seafood, and Deli is responsible for the profitable procurement and timely delivery of products for assigned lines. Works closely with the Meat, Seafood, and Deli Procurement Manager, Sales Managers and Buyers to achieve the goals of the company. Provides supply chain/inventory management for promotionally active categories and corresponding financial accountabilities. Procures product in accordance with all policies and procedures established by the company.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Obtain best possible product costs, quality and service at all times.
- Ensure that established policies and procedures are understood and adhered to by all procurement buying staff.
- Strive to obtain inventory and turn goals, while maintaining service level and minimizing distress.
- Collaborate with Procurement Manager and Quality Assurance to ensure product specifications are met and in compliance with all federal, state and local regulatory and company requirements.
- Interface with other departments and division personnel to accomplish job functions. Develop and maintain good working relationships with vendors, store operations, distribution center and division office personnel.
- Review acquisition costs to ensure items purchased are at the lowest cost consistent with considerations of quality, reliability of source, and urgency of need.
- Assess current inventory, market conditions, availability, and promotional impact to forecast order quantities and make recommendations to the merchandising team.
- Conduct post-promotional reviews and analysis to determine if promotional requirements were met and develop solutions for problem areas.
- Review and resolve inventory issues at store level as a result of allocations or order issues.
- Review and analyze daily and weekly reports to monitor costs, quality, service level, inventory turns, and distress and make adjustments as needed.
- Visit stores, as needed, to monitor programs, obtain store feedback and to assess overall implementation effectiveness.
- Manage Accounts Payable variance processes for distribution sourced items to ensure correct prices have been invoiced.
- Resolve store billing questions by researching discrepancies submitted at store level with Store Billing and entering credits where appropriate or providing resolution.
- Resolve store distribution issues by acting as a liaison with the Transportation department, QA and store associates.
- Maintain all necessary department files and records.
- Coordinate with Warehouse Operations to maintain the proper product flow through the facility, in a timely manner.
- Remote access (buying system) from home or off site location when necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree in Agricultural Sciences, Business, Marketing, Logistics or related field or relevant industry experience or marketing, accounting, logistics and financial management practices preferred.
- Minimum of 5+ years of Purchasing or Vendor Management experience in industry or retail: perishable or meat, seafood, deli experience a plus.
- Retail operations/Marketing/Logistics experience preferred or strong understanding of store operations and merchandising methodologies and practices.
- Understanding of perishable procurement, logistics, inventory management, marketing, accounting and financial management practices.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills; ability to take initiative and make fact based decisions.
- Ability to plan and organize effectively.
- Written and verbal communication skills as well as interpersonal skills to develop and maintain effective business relationships both internally and externally.
- Strong computer aptitude in MS-Office including Word, Excel and Access.
- Ability to effectively multi-task and deal with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to lift 30 pounds or more.
- Work typically performed in a temperature-controlled environment. A limited amount of time may be at temperatures of 40 degrees or lower (frozen and perishable warehouses).
- Spends long periods of time at desk or computer terminal.
- Workday is fast paced, some evening and weekend work may be required.
Travel Requirements: 5% - 10%