**Relocation is Available**
Our client seeks a Director of Safety to coordinate the activities of the Safety Professionals to provide effective coverage of Company operations. This position is located in our Edwardsville, IL office.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop, implement and maintain the Company Safety Manual including all associated safety policies, procedures and programs
- Develop a thorough knowledge of all related OSHA regulations and compliance requirements for these regulations Research changes in OSHA regulations and prepare programs as required for employee training & customer requirements
- Respond to Company personnel on safety related concerns, questions, and issues
- Act as the point of contact for safety inquiries from OSHA, the Owner, General Contractor, or job-site personnel
- Work with executive management team to understand the Safety Program and key measurables. Will report results and upcoming plans to the executive management team on a monthly basis.
- Confidently develop and administer a multi-year plan to reduce the Total Cost of Risk.
- Prepare safety-related pre-qualification documents
- Conduct job-site visits, safety inspections, safety meetings, etc. in accordance with Departmental guidelines
- Ensure that reported safety issues and concerns related to job-site equipment, tools, and personnel are answered by Safety or the respective Operations/Project Manager
- Ensure that all new employee safety orientations and drug screenings are conducted
- Work closely with Claims Manager to collect proper documentation for injuries, property claims, motor vehicle accidents, and OSHA 300 logs
- Contact and/or subcontract a professional safety consulting firm for specific safety concerns, requirements or regulations, when required
- Research, specify and approve all safety-related equipment purchased
- Ensure that all safety-related equipment are issued and tracked. This would include managing safety equipment inspections, testing, and certification as required by regulation or Company policy. All equipment testing performed by the Company shall be tested and certified by the Safety Professionals.
- Provide continued support and research related to specific or unusual safety issues
- Responsible for other duties so assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Safety and Health, EH&S Management or a related field preferred or equivalent work experience. Master’s degree a plus. CUSA or CUSP preferred. Experience as a Lineman preferred.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of leadership/managerial experience within Safety and Health is required. Electric utility construction background required.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and demonstrated training delivery skills
- Strong knowledge and understanding of OSHA and applicable federal, state, local and company safety regulations
- Ability to build trust across diverse teams and divisions and influence without direct authority
- Provide guidance on regulatory communications
- Ability to recognize onsite risk factors and take appropriate action with determination and tact
- Sense of responsibility and ownership for project
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, OSHA requirements and safety manuals
- Ability to speak effectively with customers and employees of the company
- Ability to travel overnight approximately 2 weeks per month
- At times extended periods of driving may be required
- Required to have visual acuity to observe facilities or structures, and operate equipment and vehicles
- Must have a valid driver’s license and ability to drive a motorized vehicle
- Competitive wages
- Medical & Dental Coverage
- Paid vacation days, holidays and sick days
- Company truck