The Tax Manager is responsible for advising clients on the tax implications of their business objections, evaluating and selecting alternative actions to lessen tax burden and cost of compliance, identifying different methods of complying with tax regulations while acting as the primary client contact for complex tax issues. In this role, Tax Manager is charged with applying knowledge to understand potential tax issues, and recognizing and communicating potential risks and potential changes in the tax policy.
· Ensures that (a) clients comply with all applicable authorities, while at the same time minimizing their tax and reporting burdens, and (b) self and client service teams comply with all Firm policies and standards of professional practice.
o Preparation of complex individual, trusts, partnership and corporate tax returns
o Conducts top level review of T/R and resolves all tax issues with client; involves directors or Partners where appropriate
o Communicates with client and Assurance any issues identified in tax accrual reviews
o Plans and reviews the tax process and the procedures to be performed to include:
· Budgeting and staffing
· Monitoring engagement process and actual time incurred vs. budget with assistance of Senior
· Timely billing and collection of A/R
o Manages client relationships/expectations in accordance with the project
o Provides advice to clients in a timely manner;
§ Identifies when research is needed; clearly and concisely frames issues to be researched; and clearly and concisely reports the analysis.
ASC 740-10 (FAS 109 and FIN 48) Accounting for Income Taxes
· Correctly and proactively applies Firm policies and standards regarding FAS 109 and FIN 48.
o Explains and discusses components of the income tax provision and uncertain tax positions to the client as well as other complexities surrounding ASC 740-10
o Communicates with Assurance counterparts to timely plan tax accrual reviews, including budget, scope and delivery dates
· Assists with developing, recommending, and implementing efficient and effective methods to maximize client benefits, especially by decreasing clients’ current and future taxes.
o Considers the applicability of CTS and STS consulting specialties for each client
o Develops and implements a work plan to include/organize the STS assistance on ongoing projects from client
o Serves as a technical resource
o Provides effective assistance with exam support
o Frames projects and issues for effective delegation to seniors and associates
· Develops an in-depth understanding of the technical and practical issues and opportunities regarding one or more areas of taxation, e.g., individual, corporate, property, sales, corporate, pass-through, state and local, international, expatriate, credits and incentives, compensation and benefits, accounting methods, R&D tax benefits.
o May be required to organize and conduct effective internal CPE training sessions in area of specialization, involving Firm Partners
· Introduces and develops new or improved ideas to improve the position of clients, the Firm, or Firm personnel, e.g., by reducing taxes or expenses or providing non-tax benefits.
o Reviews studies of tax implications and offers clients alternative courses of action
o Identifies and leverages lessons learned on prior projects, and offers input on how to improve processes and methods
Other duties as required
· Supervises associates and senior associates on all projects
· Reviews work prepared by associates and senior associates and provide review comments
· Trains Associates and Seniors how to use all current software tools
· Acts as a Career Advisor to associates and senior associates
· Schedules and manages workload of associates and senior associates
· Provides verbal and written performance feedback to associates and senior associates
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Abilites:
· Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field required; Master of Tax preferred
· Minimum five years of experience in a public accounting firm or related experience
· CPA certification preferred
Safe Harbor LLP: About Us
We are a highly technical full-service boutique CPA firm, working with clients seeking a CPA with a higher level of technical expertise, advisory capabilities and responsiveness year-round. Our clients look to us as trusted and valued advisors, our firm culture facilitates and fosters mutual exchanges whereby our clients greatly benefit from our technical knowledge and practical advisory.
The successful candidate will be working in face pace paperless, technology charged environment with our current closely-knit team of tax professionals and directly reports to a Partner.
Salary Range (DOE): $90,000 to $120,000, benefits include health insurance, 401K, holidays and vacation.
· Proficient in corporate, individual and partnership taxation
· Previous experience supervising and training Staff and Seniors preferred
· Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
· Strong organizational techniques are required
· Must be highly motivated and experienced in managing multiple client engagements
· Must begin to attain visibility and recognition within their industry specialization
· Proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
· Experience with CCH Axcess, or Prosystem fx software preferred