Sacramento Steps Forward
Programmer Analyst Job Description
Job Title: Programmer Analyst
Department: Data Analytics
Reports To: Lead Data Analyst
Status: Non-Exempt, Full-Time
Date: September 29th, 2020
ABOUT SACRAMENTO STEPS FORWARD:
Sacramento Steps Forward (SSF) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization committed to ending homelessness in our region through collaboration, innovation, and connecting people to services. Walking side-by-side with our partners, we seek to provide people experiencing homelessness with the support and services they need to find stability and long-term housing. SSF uses a collaborative, data-driven, outcomes-based approach to help ensure individuals and families experiencing homelessness have access to housing, employment, healthcare, education and other resources for economic stability and an improved quality of life.
Homeless Management Information System (HMIS) is a HUD compliant technology system that is used by homeless service providers to collect confidential client-level data including demographics, history of homelessness, service needs and services accessed. In Sacramento and Yolo counties, HMIS is managed by Sacramento Steps Forward using BitFocus’ Clarity Software.
The Programmer Analyst plays an essential role in developing the most effective means for enabling leaders and community partners to access and act on data from HMIS when addressing the issue of homelessness. You will be working with existing code development (R, SQL, and Tableau) to understand the logic for data extraction and transformation. You will be modifying, testing, and maintaining the legacy code. You will also develop new code and logic to support data analytics in Sacramento Steps Forward.
This position requires experience with R and SQL scripting. You must demonstrate proficiency in reading and understanding R and SQL scripts, and be familiar with tools such as R Studio, Spyder, MySQL Workbench, etc. Experience with Tableau development is a plus.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Modifying and testing the existing R and SQL code to support data analytics efforts
· Developing and maintaining code and tools to support data feeds for internal and external stakeholders
· Following best practices in software engineering, particularly iterative development, version control, testing and modular design
· Establishing best practices for naming, governing, managing, modeling, cleansing, transforming, moving, storing, and searching all data
· Intake and analyze requirements, develop plans, build proof-of-concept, and UAT test
· Providing ongoing data quality analysis and reporting oversight
· Developing content for an online reporting platform
· Maintaining knowledge on current HUD data elements and requirements
· Participating in meetings and data analysis activities with cross-functional teams to gather required reporting and dashboard requirements
· Other duties as assigned
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) from an accredited four-year college or university and at least one to three years related experience and/or training in Information Systems, Programming, or other related fields.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
· Three to five years experience developing R and SQL scripts to query and transform data
· Experience working in software development environment with close adherence to software lifecycle practices
· Comfortable and competent with relational database management systems
· Knowledge of Tableau and Looker preferred
· Analytical mindset and written/verbal communication skills. Self-motivated, proactive and a team player
· Experience creating and maintaining technical documentation
· Good working knowledge/skills of Microsoft Office suite of products including Word, PowerPoint and familiarity with high-level Excel formulas and features is preferred
· Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
· Excellent communication skills; ability to convey information in a clear and concise manner to groups with varying levels of technical expertise
· Self-motivated with the ability to prioritize, meet deadlines and manage changing priorities in a fast-paced environment
· Strong organizational skills and a strong attention to detail
· Proven ability to be flexible and work hard, both independently and in a team environment
· Willingness to work occasionally outside of normal business hours and to take on more responsibilities as assigned
· A strong work ethic, adherence to data security and strong ethical standards are expected
Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual must have experience in R programing, knowledge of current database software, Internet software and the Microsoft Office Suite of products. Knowledge of basic office equipment should include: Internet and email, copy and scanner equipment.
Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, and governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, members, governmental bodies/boards and the general public. Reasoning Ability: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: A valid driver’s license and proof of current insurance.
Physical and Emotional Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The inability to cope with a stressful work environment does not constitute a protected disability.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand and walk; use hands to finger, handle, and feel; reach with hands and arms; talk, hear and drive to partner agencies. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include: close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
· Workplace is a smoke and drug-free environment
· Intermittent travel to off-site locations required
· Position requires frequent and regular computer and phone use
· This position requires attendance during regular business hours from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday. Occasional night and weekend hours may be required
Salary is commensurate with experience. Comprehensive benefits package (with some employee contributions) includes medical, dental, vision and disability insurance.
Sac Steps Forward