Saban Community Clinic is seeking a registered Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner who provides comprehensive psychiatric and physical health services, health screenings and provides crisis intervention to the acutely mentally ill in an outpatient setting. Under the supervision of Supervising Psychiatrist, the registered Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner is to provide professional nursing and medication care with various mental and behavioral conditions at SCC; to work with clinical staff to coordinate care and assist in treatment plans for clients; and to perform related work. A Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner will be part of the Continuing Your Care (CYC) Pilot project to meet the demands of psychiatric medication needs for those who are being discharged from the local emergency rooms and providing psychiatric care for those who are referred by the primary care physician at SCC.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Evaluates and determines clients’ need for medications; furnishes under Saban Community Clinic’s (SCC) written standardized procedures and protocols with the supervision of a SCC Psychiatrist, and administers medications as necessary. Monitors medication compliance and response to medication.
- Performs psychiatric evaluations and admission history and physicals.
- Provides mental health and physical health assessments for patients referred through SCC’s Primary Care or CYC
- Participate as an active member of treatment team that reviews, discusses and determines the course of treatment for clients. In this capacity, provides consultation and guidance for treatment planning.
- Assesses the psychiatric needs and medical conditions that may impact psychiatric conditions for patients
- Requests necessary laboratory work for clients on special medications that require frequent monitoring of levels in the blood stream to guard against toxicity, (2) as appropriate for health screening and follow up care.
- Conducts medication education groups and activities in the assigned program.
- Provides crisis intervention and supportive counseling as needed.
- Possess knowledge of all program forms and requirements to ensure proper client enrollment and continuation in the program.
- Rotates facilitation of treatment team meetings and serves as clinical resource for unlicensed staff.
- Acts as community liaison.
- Interacts appropriately with personnel, clients and visitors.
- Communicates information clearly both verbally and in writing.
- Protects and recognizes confidentiality and privacy of client information.
- Participates in discussions and meetings to maintain continuity of site functioning, including but not limited to treatment team planning, staff meetings and case presentations.
- Establishes effective relationships with clients, physicians, and staff.
- Treats clients with dignity and confidentiality, displaying warmth, compassion and understanding.
- Demonstrates flexibility in work expectations and can adjust to staffing needs.
- Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of all regulations governing the program and functions within their parameters.
- Demonstrates competency in age specific skills for population served.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Position Requirements: These are general guidelines based on the minimum experience normally considered essential to the satisfactory performance of this job. Individual abilities may result in some deviation from these guidelines.
To perform effectively in this position, the incumbent must have:
1. Two years of clinical practice treating individuals with mental and physical illness with strong emphasis working with the chronic mentally ill and co-occurring disorders.
2. A license to practice as a Registered Nurse and a certificate with:
-A Master’s degree in Nursing from an NLN accredited college or university with a specialty in Psychiatric/Mental Health Nursing and completion of an approved Adult, Child or Family Nurse Practitioner Program; OR
-Completion of an approved Master’s level Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Program; OR
-Completion of a Master’s level Nurse Practitioner’s program with a post-Master’s specialty certificate in Psychiatric/Mental Health Nursing; OR
-Completion of an approved Master’s level Family /Adult Nurse Practitioner Program with 3 years of experience working with mental health patients; OR Completion of a certified Nurse Practitioner program (pursuant to CCR 1481)
-Certification as a Family or Adult Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP-BC) from the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) is strongly preferred.
-Completion of a State of California Board of Registered Nursing approved pharmacology course.
3. Very effective oral and written communication skills; strong presentation skills
4. Demonstrated knowledge of electronic health records management systems.
5. Ability to handle multiple tasks. Ability to prioritize and perform a variety of tasks in a fast paced environment
6. Fluency in written and spoken English required
7. Personal computer skills including Word, Excel, Outlook.
8. Ability to function efficiently and independently, and to plan and prioritize daily work activities to meet clinic goals and objectives.
9. Current California driver’s license and State-required insurance when using personal vehicle on Clinic business and a driving record acceptable to the organization and/or its insurance carrier.
10. Demonstrated sensitivity to relate well with individuals from diverse cultures and lifestyles.
11. Willingness to commit to the philosophy and goals of the Saban Community Clinic