Platform System Engineer
- Posted: over a month ago
About the Team
STRs Analytics division researches and develops advanced analytics and machine learning-based solutions to solve challenging problems related to national security. Our team consists of passionate and motivated engineers with advanced degrees in engineering, computer science, mathematics, and data sciences, who are seeking opportunities to use their deep technical knowledge and creativity to tackle some of the hardest problems that our customers face. Our projects span multiple different data modalities and incorporate advanced algorithms, deep learning, and statistical techniques to uncover patterns in social media, structured and unstructured text, time series, geospatial, and imagery data, and must operate under challenging constraints not typically found in the commercial world. The tools and technologies we develop have real world impact and are used by analysts to extract and enrich intelligence information around the globe.
In the Platform System Engineer role, you will leverage your skills in software development and machine learning to develop, implement, and evaluate statistical and machine learning algorithms to uncover hidden information and patterns in massive datasets. Your will build and maintain an operational platform that tackles classification, anomaly detection, and forecasting to problems of national security and safety interest. You will monitor data for changes that could significantly impact the systems performance, architect and implement capabilities for integrating component technologies and orchestrating overall workflows, develop and execute plans to mitigate issues and maximize system uptime, and perform testing to ensure system function and performance. You will follow best practices for software development, and will continually improve the system for easier maintenance, increasing scalability, and efficient deployment.
This position is based in Woburn, MA; applicants should expect to primarily work onsite.
What you will do:
- Draw upon a range of software implementation skills to mature promising capabilities into deployed systems that support US government customers and their missions
- Collaboratively work with other software engineers and machine learning engineers to design, develop, and deploy cutting edge statistical analysis and machine learning systems into production
- Work with data sets that include 10s-100s of millions of records per day from a variety of data sources
- Interact with customers to understand requirements and iteratively respond to their most critical problems
- Make an impact by performing critical national security work that makes the world a safer place
Your skills and experience include:
- Motivated collaborator who is looking for the opportunity to work with a team of high-end researchers and engineers to develop and deploy novel machine learning solutions for real mission impact
- Excellent communicator and briefer, who is comfortable communicating with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Ability to implement and evaluate novel prototype solutions, and work with a team to mature promising prototypes into operational capabilities
- Experience working with database technologies and writing SQL statements in either relational or noSQL databases
- Proficiency in Python
- Proficiency in one or more additional programming language such as Java, or C/C++
- Experience working with microservice architectures, and infrastructures such as AWS, Hadoop, Spark, Dask, or MapReduce
- Familiarity with software development best practices, including version control (Git) and Agile workflow methodologies
- Possession of an advanced degree in a scientific field such as Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Data Science, or Physics, with 7+ years of relevant experience after Bachelors degree (work or post-graduate)
- Capable of obtaining and maintaining a security clearance
- Understanding of a range of machine learning methods and implementation, such as geospatial-temporal analytics, change point detection, clustering techniques, time-series analysis, graph analytics, geospatial analysis, image processing, or Bayesian programming
- Experienced in leading and directing research initiatives from inception to functional prototypes
- Experience working in a large cross-functional, distributed team
- Experience with US Government software accreditation processes
- Active security clearance
While this position is ideally suited for a senior software engineer, individuals with lower levels of experience are also encouraged to apply, to work with our team leaders and have meaningful impact on our nations safety and security.
STR is a growing technology company with locations near Boston, MA, Arlington, VA, near Dayton, OH, Palm Bay, FL, and Carlsbad, CA. We specialize in advanced research and development for defense, intelligence, and national security, trying to understand how to protect our society: from stopping malicious botnet attacks, to understanding cyber vulnerabilities, providing next generation sensors, radar, sonar, communications, and electronic warfare to developing artificial intelligence algorithms and analytics to make sense of the complexity that is exploding around us.
STR is committed to creating a collaborative learning environment that supports deep technical understanding and recognizes the contributions and achievements of all team members. Our work is challenging, but you go home at night knowing that you pushed the forefront of technology and made the world a little safer. We recognize that the world is changing, that it is becoming more connected than ever before, making things change faster than before, and reshaping society in the process. We all want to understand this changing world and leave it better for our work.
STR is not just any company. Our people, culture, and attitude along with their unique set of skills, experiences, and perspectives put us on a trajectory to change the world. We can't do it alone, though - we need fellow trailblazers. If you are one, join our team and help to keep our society safe! Visit us at www.str.us for more info.
STR is an equal opportunity employer. We are fully dedicated to hiring the most qualified candidate regardless of race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any portion of the employment process, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and provide your contact info.
Pursuant to applicable federal law and regulations, positions at STR require employees to obtain national security clearances and satisfy the requirements for compliance with export control and other applicable laws.
TechnologyView all jobs at STR