Manufacturing Shift Supervisor
START Saline, MI
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Summary of Position
The Shift Supervisor is responsible for ensuring the shift meets cost, quality and through put standards. This is achieved by providing leadership, guidance and coaching to all shift personnel.
This position reports to the Director of Operations.
· Safety. Work in a safe manner and follow all safety policies and procedures.
· Quality. Follow all processes and make recommendation for improvement.
· Cost. Review operation process to ensure continuous cost improvement.
· Teamwork. Interact with other positions (process engineer, material handler, operator, etc.) to ensure the efficient use of people during the manufacturing process.
· Lean Manufacturing. 5S and Workplace organization (standardized work centers) process.
· Schedule attainment by achieving production schedule.
· Define success on each responsible shift (i.e. understand earned hour’s needs, achieve required earned hours, understand and achieve required mold sets per schedule).
· Coordinate with Mold Setters and Material Handler shift schedule and timing of mold changes.
· Flex labor as needed per what is actually happening on the mfg. floor (i.e. flex labor down if job(s) cannot be run).
· Provide support and direction to molding setters, Press Operators, and other production shift employees.
· Setup Production Job – Including but not limited too.
· Print the work order and review for assembly secondary operations.
· Pull quality books, first article, visual boards, and trim samples. Ensure proper setup at the work center.
· After a new tool is set, move the work order to the number one position in IQMS.
· Ensure first piece is dimensionally correct and matches first article.
· Print labels for work order.
· Verify all employees are following established processes and procedures in compliance with established the Environmental and Quality Management Systems.
· Review Quality Book with Operator including quality alerts, job specific training, packaging requirements, cycle time standards, and any other job specific training requirements.
· Ensure operator has all required tools and safety equipment to run job.
· Provide daily production reporting and be able to communicate any issues impacting cost, quality or output.
· Assume the active leadership role in the area of safety in the workplace and use these principals to ensure that the work force is operating in a safe productive manner and give pertinent recommendations related to the appropriate areas.
· Identify, troubleshoot, record and correct setup documentation, equipment problems, environmental and safety concerns, and nonconforming material.
· Identify and correct nonconforming conditions and implement corrective actions in accordance with Company Policies.
· Oversee the setup and operation of injection molding equipment.
· Oversee the setup and operation of auxiliary equipment commonly used in injection molding (i.e. robot pickers, water heaters, conveyors, separators, water chilling systems, bulk resin dispensing equipment, hopper dryers, etc.).
· Ensure the maintenance of the production area to ensure the plant is being run in a neat and orderly manner.
· Maintain work related records in a neat, timely and complete manner.
· Apply appropriate process control and statistical techniques to daily work as needed to ensure optimum product quality and productivity.
· Ensure Operator compliance with all safety policies.
· Ensure work cells are properly set up with VAS boards, First Articles, all required assembly equipment and check fixtures as noted in the process books. With the assistance of the Quality Specialist.
· Review previous day issues with operators including quality alerts, 5s, and proper hand-offs between shifts
· Verify training level of operators, review procedures
· Help to assign operators based upon training level and coordinate training of operators
· Monitor production rates against standard rates
· Complete necessary paperwork for daily production reporting, verify production requirements are met, scrap reporting is done at real-time stations and is accurate
· Assist operators with quality checks, including monitoring critical jobs each hour as defined by supervisor or management
· Review and monitor scrap, defects, and rejects. Escalate if 3-5-10 rules are not respected
Other responsibilities assigned by Director of Operations.
Responsibility for Quality
· The Supervisor is the owner of product quality for their shift, which means they must ensure all parts are produced following the documented processes.
· The supervisor is responsible for alerting the next shift of any/all production or process issues that could impact quality.
· The Supervisor is responsible for any/all activities in manufacturing that can impact the quality of parts being produced as well as ensuring production schedules are met.
Level of Authority
· Stop the manufacturing process they are executing, if the result does not produce a quality part, matching first article (This authority does not allow for modification of the process in any way).
· Stop the manufacturing process if there are any safety concerns (and notify management immediately).
· Authority to initiate corrective action for those who report to them who do not follow assigned processes or safety policies, up to and including dismissal.
· 3-5 years of supervisory experience in an injection molding plant environment. Demonstrated accuracy in working with numbers (math & basic algebra) procedures and forms.
· Possesses good problem solving and reasoning skills.
· Solid working knowledge of injection molding, from raw material to finished goods with a thorough understanding of the effects of heat, pressure, and time on the process and end product.
· Ability to communicate an understanding of mechanical principals (vacuum, pressure, force, temperature, fluid flow, heat transfer, etc. to employees and customers.
· Solid and demonstrated ability to use computers in a networked Environment including Microsoft Office (Excel, Outlook, Word, etc.) Experience with IQMS a plus.
· Superior supervisory skills with demonstrated experience in motivating and coaching employees.
· A history of providing regular and effective performance feedback to direct reports as well as effectively addressing employee needs, disciplinary actions and training.
START - Specialized Talent Acquisition Recruiting Team. We offer 24/7 staffing services to the Metro Detroit Area.