Daily duties / responsibilities:
- This position will provide technical expertise for ongoing development and support of the Department of Social Services voice and data communication networks, systems and services. This position will work for the Director of Network Operations and Data Center services, and with the Agency infrastructure, server, and database teams. This position will consult with Agency management, technical, and development teams to design and achieve stable and responsive systems and services, with a goal of improved system availability and performance for Agency customers, both internal and external.
- Provide technical expertise for ongoing development and support of the Department of Social Services voice and data communication networks, systems and services
- Monitor and support telecommunication between Agency and client/partner endpoints and the data center, using Cisco and Cisco/Meraki products and interfaces, with a priority on Firewall, Wireless, and ISE configurations, monitoring, and troubleshooting
- Consult with and assist Agency infrastructure team and Agency partners to achieve, monitor and resolve telecommunication between endpoints.
- Understand the interactions between systems, applications, and services within the environment, and evaluate the impact of changes or additions.
- Analyze systems and perform usability testing to ensure performance and reliability, enhance scalability, and meet security requirements.
- Provide an architectural framework for information system development, maintenance, and enhancement efforts.
- Work closely with Agency Security, End User Support, Network Services, and Network Communications teams to design and implement security countermeasures, and to prevent and mitigate network and client vulnerabilities.
- Able to provide remote communications troubleshooting support with State and County IT teams (external), providing technical expertise requiring a wide range of firewall knowledge and experience
- Available to work off hours and on weekend to implement scheduled maintenance.
- Mentor less experienced peers.
Required skills (rank in order of importance):
- Networking & directories Cisco Firewalls;
- Networking & directories Cisco Hardware Administration;
- Networking & directories Cisco ISE
- Protocols: DHCP,
- Protocols: Firewall
- Verbal communication skills
- Written communication skills
- 5-7 years of experience of design and operations of public and/or private networks including LAN/MAN/WAN (local/metropolitan/wide area networks. Design work includes placement and specification of servers, routers, switches, firewalls, remote access systems, and network management.
Preferred skills (rank in order of importance):
- Candidate must be able to communicate clearly with the development team, project staff, and the user community.
- Bachelor s degree
- 5 to 7 years of experience of design and operations of public and/or private networks including LAN/MAN/WAN (local/metropolitan/wide area networks). Design work and experience should include placement and specification of servers, routers, switches, firewalls, remote access systems, and network management and monitoring to optimize application and information system security, performance and reliability.