OSP Fiber Design Engineer - Comcast
- Posted: over a month ago
OSP Fiber Design Engineer
Can be anywhere in the NJ, NY, MA, DE, NH, RI, PA, MD, CT footprint
In the exploding business of modern telecommunications, SRI is at the forefront of this expansion by helping companies build, integrate & staff their cutting-edge networks. SRI is proud to only work with the largest service providers in the country which gives us endless opportunities for business and personal growth!
Description of Role
SRI Telecom is seeking an OSP Fiber Designer Technician with an understanding of OSP mapping (reading and/or drafting) experience to contribute to designing new fiber connection points to commercial customers. The successful consultant will be responsible for identifying local tie points and new fiber lateral routes to serve local customers, reserving ITU fiber wavelengths, and assigning the official design to a fiber design contractor. You will also be responsible for updating milestone tracking databases for the design process lifecycle therefore project tracking experience is important. You will also provide cost estimating based on Comcast contracted rates.
- Design and develop layouts for OSP Fiber laterals from tie point to customer premise
- Develop ISP Patch panel diagrams/cable rack layouts
- Generation of bills of materials, splice sheets, costs and other supporting documentation for design.
- Be able to determine the closest point to tie in a new customer to existing fiber plant.
- Identify when a walkout may be needed for more information and request and manage that walkout.
- Review completed design for errors and efficiency.
- Ensure design specifications are maintained.
- Analyze OTDR traces, evaluate characteristics of fiber and document test results
- Assist in troubleshooting fiber circuits for light and path continuity
- Create and maintain appropriate technical documentation
- Supports Specialists and leadership team with fiber design documents.
- Reviews, resolves and follows-up on request and complaints.
- May advise, train, and guide other designers.
- Regular, consistent, and punctual attendance. Must be able to work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) and overtime as necessary.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Skills & Responsibilities
- Experience with reviewing utility as-built maps (fiber, telco, etc) to identify current routes and splice points.
- Experience in OSP construction, fiber construction, copper construction, utility construction.
- Knowledge of underground and overhead permitting desired.
- Knowledge of pole lines, make ready assessments and system maps preferred.
- Knowledge of easement, right-of-way, and permit documents is preferred
- Competence in design methodology, process, and metrics
- Must be able to navigate the use of a laptop and multiple sources of data (Google Maps, CAD, system maps)
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
- Visual design skills are a strong plus
- Attention to detail and ability to think creatively and strategically is a must
- Excellent organization and time management skills
- Must be able to work independently and without supervision
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively with other team members
- Monday through Friday 7 am 4 pm
SRI offers W-2 employment with access to a comprehensive benefits package such as Paid Time Off, Paid Holidays, Health/Dental/Vision Insurance, 401k, HSA and others!
This position pays an average of $33.09/hr. on up, depending on experience.
Location: REMOTE EAST COAST - SEE BELOW
Job Posted by ApplicantPro
ManufacturingView all jobs at SRI Telecom