Staff Backend Engineer
- Expired: December 09, 2022. Applications are no longer accepted.
SPAN develops products that accelerate the rapid adoption of renewable energy in the home. The flagship SPAN Smart Panel is the first true evolution for the traditional home electric panel, harnessing enhanced technology for metering, monitoring, and control. An expanded product suite of intelligent, integrated solutions radically lowers the cost and complexity of energy upgrades-including solar, batteries and EVs-empowering homeowners to be active, resilient and informed players in the energy market.
We are seeking a seasoned backend engineer with expertise building data infrastructure, to join our team building the cloud-based glue that gives our users access to the rich information and controls provided by the SPAN Panel. Our system collects a large volume of energy monitoring data that needs to be stored, processed, and exposed in different ways for various internal and end users. We're also opening up revolutionary levels of insight and control of the energy in the home, which need to be accessed in secure and easy-to-use APIs.
You'll join our cloud software engineering team, bringing your expertise in data infrastructure to bear as we design, implement, and manage the SPAN cloud system. You'll work with other engineers including mobile, device firmware, and systems software in our broader software engineering group. Your data experience will help us build features and systems that leverage the wealth of data the SPAN panel generates, integrate with external datasets and services, and utilize machine learning to be most efficient and effective.
Design and develop high performance data pipelines (both batch and streaming) to drive new and improved features of the SPAN System.
Work on the delivery of new and improved customer facing features for homeowners, installers, and electric utility companies.
Collaborate with data science and product to develop data models to meet internal and external use cases.
Enable internal groups such as support, manufacturing, and business teams by providing them the data they need to be successful.
We are seeking a seasoned data engineer with several years demonstrating knowledge and experience in:
- 7+ years of experience in cloud software development of any kind. At least 4 of those years focussed on high performance data systems
- Collaborating with engineers from multiple domains, to complete projects.
- Leveraging cloud based SaaS tooling for data processing ETLs, e.g. AWS Athena, Kinesis, Glue, Spark, Databricks, Snowflake etc.
- Designing large scale data analyses to efficiently run in the cloud.
- Collaborating with coworkers in shared code base using industry standard tools and processes including source control, linting, and unit testing
- Understanding engineering principles and processes to design secure, robust, scalable, and resilient systems
- A common scripting language (e.g. Python), and desire to work with TypeScript and Python
We would love to hire someone with experience working in one or more of the following areas:
- Internet of Things (IoT) products (e.g. AWS IoT, Google Cloud IoT, something homegrown) or other hardware component to the product
- Designing data schemas for external users
- Surfacing data products to end customers
- Docker based deployments
Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for the location this role is based during the hiring process.
SPAN embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
Headquartered in San Francisco's vibrant SoMa neighborhood, we are an eclectic group of creative thinkers who value open communication, teamwork, and a 'make it happen' approach to addressing complex challenges.
We're hiring talented individuals who are driven by success and are passionate about shaping the future of renewable energy. If that sounds like you, we'd love for you to consider joining the rapidly growing team at SPAN.
Competitive compensation + equity grants at a well-funded, venture-backed company
Comprehensive benefits (including medical; dental, vision, life and disability insurance)
Comfortable, sunny office space located near BART and Caltrain public transit
Strong focus on teambuilding and company culture (events, meet-ups, clubs)
Flexible hours and unlimited PTO
Interested in joining our team? Submit an application today and we'll be in touch with next steps!
AddressSan Francisco, CA
TechnologyView all jobs at SPAN
Get fresh Senior Renewable Energy Engineer jobs daily straight to your inbox!